1941 Plymouth fuel line ,Carb,

JohnnyMaryjo

The . fuel line to the carb. picture shown I took apart to see if fuel was flowing  when I took it apart there was what  look like a jet 

does the jet  end of it look like a needle go into the carb or into the line ? or the  larger other end  part go to the line or carb.

I placed the nipple end into the carb ?

IMG_1870.JPG

The stock fuel inlet needle valve has a pointy tip. This tip points away from the carb bowl. Tip points in towards fuel line coming from the fuel pump. The other end if it is flat. It contacts the tab on the float inside the carb bowl. 

Another way to look at this problem .  The fuel pump has a gas line going to it from the gas tank.  The other line from the fuel pump goes to the carb.  .  If you take the line loose at the carb and put a piece  of hose on it the gas will come out the end of the hose.  Put the hose in a can away from the engine.  If you crank the engine over the fuel pump should pump gas into the can.  You can also run the engine a short time with spray either.  and see gas flow.  Be extra careful  with any container with gas in it and have a fire extinguisher or garden hose handy.  If you are getting good gas flow you have eliminated a fuel pump or gas tank problem, 

On 8/12/2022 at 9:50 AM, keithb7 said:

The stock fuel inlet needle valve has a pointy tip. This tip points away from the carb bowl. Tip points in towards fuel line coming from the fuel pump. The other end if it is flat. It contacts the tab on the float inside the carb bowl. 

are you correct? the carb is leaking like the ocean 

Pretty confident. See my video here. 

https://youtu.be/wHxYYwa1jCU

If your  fuel Inlet is not shutting off and you are spewing fuel everywhere there are a few reasons. Needle valve stuck open for some reason. Check for obstruction. Too high fuel pressure from fuel pump. Carb Float has a hole in it and won’t float. A few examples to check. 

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 1