1959-1960 GM bucket seats

jonosso

1959-1960 GM Power Bucket Seat Cable Questions

I have found that the power seat cable that came with the bucket seats that I purchased years ago is not the proper cable.   The cable that I have is most likely the correct length — 52” to run from the motor mounted on the passenger seat frame and running to the driver seat gear mechanism.   Here are my issues/questions:

1.  One end has a 7/8” female connector while both should have 5/8” female connectors.

2.  it seems that the round receptacles on both the motor and gear mechanism require the cable ends to have some sort of adapter. On one end of the cable that I have, there is a red plastic adaptor.  The seller has labeled it as the bad end.  (pic included showing the red piece)

3.  Question: What type of cable should be used?   Is it a standard speedometer cable?

4.  Question: Are adapters used at each end of cable to insert into the motor and gear mechanisms?

5.  Question:  Does anyone know of a company that manufactures custom cables and would have the necessary end adapters to work with the motor and gear mechanisms?

8B518F0F-2D8A-451D-AD50-BDA7EE4B56BB.jpeg

80CEB0CB-4B4E-4E7D-93F8-F3EDF8212686.jpeg

FC8E9E66-1A65-4B2C-A019-2A9D09D2E8E6.jpeg

I would check to see if the diameter of the seat cables is the same size as a regular speedometer cable from the 50's to 70's.  If it is, the universal cables come with an end that you cut the cable to the correct length and then install the end.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1311&_nkw=speedometer+cable+repair+kit&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=speedometer+cable&_osacat=0

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Hi Larry.   It seems that a standard speedometer cable would work, but the round receptacles on both the motor and the gear mechanism are probably about 3/8” that allows the cable to “swim” in the hole.  Based on the worn, red plastic end of the one cable that I have, it appears that there must be some adapter that goes on the end of the speedometer cable when inserting it into the motor or gear mechanism opening.   My one photo shows the worn, red plastic piece. 

7 hours ago, jonosso said:

Hi Larry.   It seems that a standard speedometer cable would work, but the round receptacles on both the motor and the gear mechanism are probably about 3/8” that allows the cable to “swim” in the hole.  Based on the worn, red plastic end of the one cable that I have, it appears that there must be some adapter that goes on the end of the speedometer cable when inserting it into the motor or gear mechanism opening.   My one photo shows the worn, red plastic piece. 

Just a thought