1st Gen Tool

gungeey

Gungee, thanks for heads up on the tool.

Im going to take the stainless windshield wiper arms off, polish them up then powder coat with a clear topcoat to protect the finish. The finish although some what diminished by the clear powder coat it will never get dull. Of course, I could just shine up the stainless and put on a metal protector known as “ PoorBoy” metal protector AND the shine is NOT diminished in the least.

l see you had the cowl vents  chromed and that looks good.

My thoughts are, “ Decorate your car any way you like.” I like to keep the car stock and anything I do to that is personalized can easily be changed to original with little perspiration.

AGAIN THANKS FOR THE TOOL.

Turbinator

Bob, I left the cowl grills unpainted to match the rechromed escutcheons Gene G @abandg set me up with. As we know, they had the grills painted from the factory other than the uppermost lip. The tool worked great and no more surprise scratches and gouges from screwdrivers, needlenose pliers and snap ring removers. Steve

Steve, some of the home made tools are life savers.

I found a SAE and Metric socket set that has small ball bearings opposite one another in the socket. The purpose of the ball bearing in the socket is to grip the nut or bolt when going to a hard to reach place. The ratchet head is smaller and has 72 teeth. The name of the manufacturer is Koken, a small family owned Japanese tool maker been in business for a long time. Several reviewers compared the Koken to Snap On, Matco, and other professional line brands. The reason I bought the basic set was I think the tool can legitimately save time and aggravation. IF the tool performs as I expect I think the price value proposition is in my favor.

Nut Grip, ¼” drive, Standard Length, Chrome Hand Sockets.  NUT GRIP® is Ko-ken's special design for non-magnetic nuts/bolts to be held firmly in a 6-point socket.  The design consists of two balls held in place by a spring steel ring.
nutgrip.png?v=1640699272
Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Steve, some of the home made tools are life savers.

I found a SAE and Metric socket set that has small ball bearings opposite one another in the socket. The purpose of the ball bearing in the socket is to grip the nut or bolt when going to a hard to reach place. The ratchet head is smaller and has 72 teeth. The name of the manufacturer is Koken, a small family owned Japanese tool maker been in business for a long time. Several reviewers compared the Koken to Snap On, Matco, and other professional line brands. The reason I bought the basic set was I think the tool can legitimately save time and aggravation. IF the tool performs as I expect I think the price value proposition is in my favor.

Nut Grip, ¼” drive, Standard Length, Chrome Hand Sockets.  NUT GRIP® is Ko-ken's special design for non-magnetic nuts/bolts to be held firmly in a 6-point socket.  The design consists of two balls held in place by a spring steel ring.
nutgrip.png?v=1640699272

Nice. Aways stuck a little piece of paper or 2 inside of the socket and pressed the bolt in with my thumb for that one..

1 hour ago, gungeey said:

Nice. Aways stuck a little piece of paper or 2 inside of the socket and pressed the bolt in with my thumb for that one..

That will get ‘er done! Home made tools and short cuts are always the best. You do not have to spend any money and that is liking making money ( cost avoidance) tax free. A bonus.

3 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Gungee, thanks for heads up on the tool.

Im going to take the stainless windshield wiper arms off, polish them up then powder coat with a clear topcoat to protect the finish. The finish although some what diminished by the clear powder coat it will never get dull. Of course, I could just shine up the stainless and put on a metal protector known as “ PoorBoy” metal protector AND the shine is NOT diminished in the least.

l see you had the cowl vents  chromed and that looks good.

My thoughts are, “ Decorate your car any way you like.” I like to keep the car stock and anything I do to that is personalized can easily be changed to original with little perspiration.

AGAIN THANKS FOR THE TOOL.

Turbinator

Bob,

Read this then reconsider polishing your stainless wiper arms. An ROA member here in Kansas did the same.  He then bought a second set from me and tossed the polished ones.  The sun reflected so harshly off the polished ones it affected his vision while driving.  

6 hours ago, RivNut said:

Bob,

Read this then reconsider polishing your stainless wiper arms. An ROA member here in Kansas did the same.  He then bought a second set from me and tossed the polished ones.  The sun reflected so harshly off the polished ones it affected his vision while driving.  

Bob, stick with the turbines.  You will regret polishing the wiper arms for reason stated above. Too much bling is not a good thing!

6 hours ago, RivNut said:

Bob,

Ed, thank you for the heads up. I appreciate your information. Saves me some hassle.

2 minutes ago, Pat Curran said:

Bob, stick with the turbines.  You will regret polishing the wiper arms for reason stated above. Too much bling is not a good thing!

Pat, Thank you very much for the heads up. I really missed the whole vision thing. You are correct, too much bling is not in good taste.

Turbinator 

3 hours ago, PaulMuzz said:

I bought my 64 with the cowl vents chromed.  Did some first gens from the factory come that way or painted?

Paul all three yrs were fully chromed but with body color over them other than the ledge at the top.

cowl9.JPG

• Thanks 1