1948 Olds Pilot Bearing needed

57j2olds

Hello,

I was told not to worry about the condition of this Hydramatic pilot bearing as the inner surface is still smooth.

However piece of mind tells me to replace.

Anyone have any leads where I can find one?

Fatsco doesn't have any.

Thanks 

Pilot Bearing.jpg

3 hours ago, 57j2olds said:

Hello,

I was told not to worry about the condition of this Hydramatic pilot bearing as the inner surface is still smooth.

Fatsco doesn't have any.

Thanks 

Pilot Bearing.jpg

your pilot shaft bearing is part number 907109, does look like someone did a mess of trying to stake the bearing in the crankshaft.

3 hours ago, 57j2olds said:

Hello,

Fatsco doesn't have any.

Thanks 

Pilot Bearing.jpg

there's a nos 907109 pilot shaft bearing listed on feebay, original GM New Departure box.

37 minutes ago, 57j2olds said:

This says CLUTCH pilot bushing

I tried to look up your 1948 "inline" engine bushing in my 57 Olds factory parts book.  These books normally go back quite a few years, but when I found the group number, it only showed the bushing for 56 and 57 for some reason... bear with me..

The reason i tried to look, is that all "V8" overhead Olds from 49-64 used the same bushing for the old style Hydramatics as well as ALL standard transmission cars.  On top of that, the same exact bushing was used in Chevys for standard shift from 55-up to at least 70s.  (then it would be commonly available)

If I had been able to find the 48 bushing in my book, and if it showed to be same as 49-up V8, then i'd tell you to get one from local parts place for a Chevy, in case they say that they had no listing for such an old car like 48 Olds. 

49 minutes ago, 57j2olds said:

I cant find it...???

Link?

This says CLUTCH pilot bushing....I dont have a clutch. 

Thanks 

ClutchBearing.JPG

That’s because most automatic trans cars don’t use one, but yours is the exception.

35 minutes ago, F&J said:

I tried to look up your 1948 "inline" engine bushing in my 57 Olds factory parts book.  These books normally go back quite a few years, but when I found the group number, it only showed the bushing for 56 and 57 for some reason... bear with me..

The reason i tried to look, is that all "V8" overhead Olds from 49-64 used the same bushing for the old style Hydramatics as well as ALL standard transmission cars.  On top of that, the same exact bushing was used in Chevys for standard shift from 55-up to at least 70s.  (then it would be commonly available)

If I had been able to find the 48 bushing in my book, and if it showed to be same as 49-up V8, then i'd tell you to get one from local parts place for a Chevy, in case they say that they had no listing for such an old car like 48 Olds. 

Appreciate your help!

I have a straight 6 as well.

Lee

Remove the bushing that's in there, measure ID, OD and length. Compare to 

https://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?type=keyword&origin=keyword&q=Clutch+Pilot+Bushing

Or other documentation you can find.

Have round stock that fits the hole? Pack the hole with paper mache (or grease, but use eye protection!) and drive round stock in. Another trick is a square (not hex) nut that will just go through the hole, drop in and then screw a bolt into the nut and walk the bushing out. I typically use a tap to remove them, BUT you want this one out WITHOUT damage!

• Like 1

I had heard about taking these out hydraulically (filling the cavity with grease and driving in the correct sized rod stock)

Took me awhile until I needed to try it.

I was amazed how well it worked.

• Like 1

A friend of a friend lost an eye from the grease shooting out while doing this. That’s his story and he stuck to it. So I say wear protective eyewear. I was surprised how well the paper mache worked. For the Chevrolet/GM/Corvair ID bushing I drive an old input shaft into the bearing to apply the pressure. Sure beats cutting them out with a cold chisel or a hacksaw blade (without handle).