1946 Chevy 1ton Express Pickup project. (Need help)

Brent W.

I bought this 1946 Chevy Express 1Ton pickup with a 9ft box about two years ago now and I’m starting to get ready to do some things with it. I plan to restore it and I’m having a hard time finding some parts. This thing needs running boards and rear fenders. They used from my understanding 1939 rear 1 ton suburban fenders and the running boards only for the 1 ton and I believe 1.5 ton pickup. There were only 1700 1946 1 ton pickups made. Any help pointers and advise would be appreciated. 

C5E0B32E-6CFC-49D7-9D89-0209AB51E27E.jpeg

27696454-7471-449F-9132-1D8B23688649.jpeg

• Like 1

I used to own an Oshawa-built '46 1 ton pickup in original survivor condition. I sold it to a guy back in the '80s and it resold at auction a couple of years ago in the same shape.

Attached is the parts book page showing rear fenders. They were used as you say from '39-'46 panel and suburban trucks as well as the 1 ton pickup .In your photo the right rear one looks good. I remember seeing NOS ones at Hershey some years ago. Good luck on the running boards. You may have to replace with nice oak ones. Not original but I've seen it done.

The parts book I have is for Canadian models. The 1 ton pickup is a model 14-34. I don't know if the US equivalent is different.

The attached photo shows mine on a teeter-totter .

It's nice to see another one.

Jim

1946 Chevrolet parts book page.JPG

1946 Chevrolet pickup on teeter-totter 001.jpg

1942 Chevrolet pickup.jpg

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)

Wow, I love the looks of these Chevy pickups.  Solid looking, very heavy duty.  One of my uncles had a '46 1/2 ton that I got to drive a few times.  Unfortunately, the original 6-banger had been swapped out for an early '60s 235 six cylinder.  It had a bad exhaust leak and it sounded awful.  I always loved the sound of the original engine.

The OP should be proud of his very original-looking truck.

2 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

What sounded different from the original to the 235?  

Ben

The engine swap took place around 1965-66.  I was 12 or 13, so I don't know if I can adequately describe what my ears were hearing.  The original engine seemed to sound much different inside the truck as he would go through the gears - it seemed to have a more throaty sound, as compared to the 235, which did seem a great deal smoother.  I never did know why there was such a bad exhaust leak on the 235, but it made the engine have a sort of "tinny" sound - I don't know any other way to describe it.