Servicing the wiper pivots

Disconnect the wiper drive arm at the motor. There is a spring loaded slip on clip. I used a needle nose plier to remove it. Once removed lift the wiper pivot and rotate the whole assembly to allow the connecting screw and nut to clear the slot and remove to your work station.

611F3666-0995-43B0-9A3D-FB30DD32FE11.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There is a pin that has a reduced section which means the pin has to go in or out in only one direction. Carefully use a drive pin and support the opposite side to prevent breaking the assembly.

once removed the two gears can be pulled out, cleaned of old grease, lubricated and reassembled. Note the the two gears have a flange on one side. Therefore the gears have to be oriented the correct way.

8796E05C-F411-4213-9AD0-8433AD915E2E.jpeg

Edited by Piaras (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting this.  Let us know how things go, putting it back together.

This is actually a really cool looking on the car just like the head lights are. I guess the design criteria was for better aerodynamics, without telling anyone.  In all honestly, just like the headlights, the design is really bad.  Everyone I've come across, is in very bad shape. Warn out, frozen in place or broken parts.    These are mounting on rubber with another piece of chrome, witch I have not found a reason for. (you don not show this) Then another piece of rubber to the body. There is also a bracket that bolt from the bottom (you don not show this) and two screws that hold it all together.  None of these seem to line up to the body well. What were they thinking? Very bad design, in my opinion. 

@Piaras  and @VW4X4, have you had to buy wiper arms to fit these wiper transmissions and if so, where did you find them?

I imagine there would be some difference if you could see a side by side comparison, but to me these transmissions look exactly like the weird half-year-only units used on late 1936 Pontiac and Buick. The shafts have a taper plus a nut, but the shaft and "bushing" area on the transmission do not stick up far enough to clear a water rejection skirt. They are basically flat on the front like your Chrysler transmissions are.

Posted (edited)

I did not show any other parts or gaskets as there were none to see.  Everything I removed is shown. The pivot tower? had been siliconed by previous owners. The clamp underneath I also did not show and what a pain to put back up and hit the screws at the same time! Almost a two person job as the cowl panel pinches close to the mounting points. 
The arms, one appear original and the other is the style Andy sells in a kit form.

Edited by Piaras (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Bloo said:

@Piaras  and @VW4X4, have you had to buy wiper arms to fit these wiper transmissions and if so, where did you find them?

The only wiper arms I have ever found came with a small adapter to the shaft.  That was 20 years ago.

ERIc

• Like 1