Why did my 1941 plymouth P-12 burn my coil wire

JohnnyMaryjo

Why did my 1941 Plymouth P-12 6 volt flathead  burn my coil wire 

from the coil to  the distributor 

I have not checked the distributor 

I was going for a ride when all of a sudden the motor was chocking and it just shut down 

will not start. checked the coil wire and the end  looks like it is gone    

Check spark plug gap for being too large. Also check the rotor and cap for clearance issues. Be sure  rotor is correct. Also, be sure to have solid core copper wires for the secondary ignition.(Plug and coil and coil wires.) 

Could be the end worked slightly loose and created a gap that started burning, until eventually it burned away so much of the wire the spark could no longer jump the gap.

Be sure the cap is not burned up and put in a new coil wire. I recommend a resistance wire for radio noise suppression. Have run several 6v flathead Chrysler products this way and it worked fine.

Later.... to clarify the above, I am talking about using a carbon core resistance wire from the coil to the distributor, along with the stock solid copper wire to the spark plugs. This does no harm and reduces or eliminates radio noise. The resistance wire is also easier to get.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are speaking of the wire from the coil tower to the center (or so) tower of the distributer cap and not the small wire from the points to the coil, right?

6 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

You are speaking of the wire from the coil tower to the center (or so) tower of the distributer cap and not the small wire from the points to the coil, right?

That is correct.

My original answer was on that basis. If the OP was talking about the small 6V wire that is a different story, it most likely got frayed and broke from old age and metal fatigue.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I think it is the new fuel pump that stop working .if i place gas in the carb. it will start to run as soon as the gas is gone it stops running 

this is a new fuel pump ?

i also disconnected the line from the carb to the pump  no gas coming  through the line when trying to start it 

is this a bad pump ?

or what else can it bed

thanks everyone 

Johnny

9 hours ago, JohnnyMaryjo said:

I think it is the new fuel pump that stop working .if i place gas in the carb. it will start to run as soon as the gas is gone it stops running 

this is a new fuel pump ?

i also disconnected the line from the carb to the pump  no gas coming  through the line when trying to start it 

is this a bad pump ?

or what else can it bed

thanks everyone 

Johnny

"what else can be bad?"   Could be a lot.  May be sucking air.  May be a plugged line.  Pickup point may be bad in the tank.  Could be a lot.

Test the pump this way?   Unhook the suction line.  Install a "temporary" rubber line/hose in the suction port you just removed the line from. Stick this hose into a CAN OF GAS .  Try starting. Let us know the result.

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)

2 hours ago, JohnnyMaryjo said:

Ben

I do not understand

if I take the hose off the  fuel pump the suction hose  and place another hose on it  then place the hose in a gas can there is nothing going to the carb ?

Sorry, Johnny.   Please see my edited post.  What I am TRYING to say is I believe it is possible your fuel pump is sucking air some where.  

Ben

yes please help me understand how to check the fuel pump

also how to see if you have spark

why my motor chokes when I want it to go over 3500 rpm 

and how to adjust the voltage regulator when driving the voltage on the battery is over 7.5

you can also e mail me

helena9887@aol.com

So, Take the line that comes from the tank to the fuel pump off of the fuel pump. It may leak (especially if the tank is full) so you might want a pan handy.

Then make a hose that will go into the fuel pump where you removed the tank line. Hook that into where you removed the tank supply line.

Put the other end of your made up hose into a fuel supply.  Be sure to use a bottle or the likes that will not tip over. And be sure that the loose end is submerged in fuel in this container.

Now you have an alternative fuel supply that if the car runs you will know that the problem is towards the tank.

If the pump is still not pumping the problem is most likely your fuel pump or maybe a filter if there is one inline.

Are you sure that the car is choking and not starving? 

If it feels like its losing power and kinda gets better if you back off a little it may be starving for fuel.

• Like 1

To check for spark, you can take a spark plug out and hook it back onto the plug wire and lay the plug on something that is in reach that is metal and will provide a ground to the plug body.

Then have someone crank the engine while you are looking at the spark plug gap and you should be able to see the spark plug firing.

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

So, Take the line that comes from the tank to the fuel pump off of the fuel pump. It may leak (especially if the tank is full) so you might want a pan handy.

Then make a hose that will go into the fuel pump where you removed the tank line. Hook that into where you removed the tank supply line.

Put the other end of your made up hose into a fuel supply.  Be sure to use a bottle or the likes that will not tip over. And be sure that the loose end is submerged in fuel in this container.

Now you have an alternative fuel supply that if the car runs you will know that the problem is towards the tank.

If the pump is still not pumping the problem is most likely your fuel pump or maybe a filter if there is one inline.

Are you sure that the car is choking and not starving? 

If it feels like its losing power and kinda gets better if you back off a little it may be starving for fuel.

I really want to thank you But i have tried to locate the line from the gas to the fuel no luck

someone told me to empty the fuel glass bowl place it back onto the fuel pump car and crank the  car if it fills , its the pump if not its the gas or line ?

is this correct

I am a one and only person who knows very little  and can not do this myself 

does anyone know a person who can come and help me with pay

to see if its the pump and to see the coil is firing and why the car or the motor chokes at high rpm 

I live in Pittsburgh pa  ( upper St. Clair )

Johnny  helena9887@aol.com

Johnny, my friend, the best advice I can give is for you to look up the nearest AACA or VMCCA regional group and join it. Ask around about knowledgeable members who might be willing to help you. No offense meant, but you need a hands on person to help you sort your old car issues out. Zeke

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, JohnnyMaryjo said:

But i have tried to locate the line from the gas to the fuel no luck

Its hooked to the fuel pump.

Sounds like you are kinda lost, I agree, you need to find someone to look at it for you.

• Like 2