46 chevy 216 oil pressure to top end problem

truth

Inquiring about a problem im having on my 46 chevy 216 oil pressure. My gauge shows 15 on the dash. Ive been reading that once oil builds in bottom then it comes to the top rocker arms but im not seeing any? It looks pretty dry and no observed oil drips or flow. I dont drive it much and about a month ago i got a terrible knock noise like a bearing while cranking. Thats what started all this study. Since then its been running normal w no noises. But i took off the valve cover and noticed this issue. my only ideas are1- put in a new filter on the add on oil can type that straps to manifold or2- check the oil distributor .Im thinking the oil pump is working cause the gauge on the dash moves w the rpm's of the motor. Any thoughts on this would be great and thanks. Also its been running hot for quite awhile not in the red but right up to it and thats not been the norm cause this was my 1st vehicle since 1975 and it always ran at the 160 range.Ive just noticed the heat riser spring on the manifold is gone . Maybe that can affect temp? Ive replaced water pump- radiator- radiator hoses - thermostat and even tried no thermostat! Im wondering if the running hot did something?And that knock noise that came and went is concerning. Ive been researching but coming up dry so i thought id put up a post and see if any ideas surface  Again thanks  tim 

The 216 rocker oil comes from that little plate on the left side down under the manifold where you can't get at it easily. Its called the oil distributor.  There is a bypass valve in there that turns off oil to the rockers if the pressure gets too low for the bottom end. There is a small line that goes from there THROUGH the block and up to the rocker shaft.  So there wasn't a great lot of oil to the rockers on a good day. However, if there is no flow at all, take the cover off and run the engine, reved a bit - not slow idle, and see if any oil comes through al all.  If not, is there any oil in the engine coolant? If so, the little pipe may be leaking behind the bypass valve. 

If the coolant is clean, then there is something plugged or the bypass valve isn't working. If you have to replace the line you must drain the cooling system and the engine block, then with valve cover and side panel off, there is a packing nut on the distributor side to remove, then the pipe can be disconnected at both ends and removed. The trick is to get it all back with no coolant leaks!

• Like 1

This used to be a common problem. They even sold a felt pad that laid on top of the rocker arms. You soaked it with oil at oil change time and that kept the rockers oiled.

Could be a bit of dirt or sludge in the line, they don't have much oil pressure. Could you take off the rocker arm shaft and blow compressed air thru ?

• Like 1