1960 Twilight Sentinel

rocketraider

Does anyone own or know of a 1960 Buick equipped with Twilight Sentinel?

I have a Delco Radio training manual "1960 Delco Electronic- One Week Advanced Training School". It covers WonderBars, TransPortable radios, Delco garage door openers among other things.

In the very back of the manual, there's an 8 page section on "Twilight Sentinel Automatic Lightswitch" subtitled "Service Instructions for 1960 Buick Model L460" applicable to all 1960 Buicks. Bulletin 6D-476 dated 10-15-59, 1st issue.

I had always thought Cadillac was the first to get Twilight Sentinel but this manual belies that, since it includes only Guide-Matic repair section for 1960 Cadillacs.

Curious, does that Twilight Sentinel turn lights on and off? Or dim lights?

Here is something from 2016 which is NOT what Wikipedia says today! It is a few posts down the page, as the subject is selling a modern control:

https://www.v8buick.com/index.php?threads/1-981467-nos-twilight-sentinel-very-rare.313166/

So, Wikipedia changed from Buick first to Cadillac first, 4 years later model year.

Turns driving lights on and off depending on available light. It does not incorporate headlight-off delay as later versions did. Appears to be completely separate from the Guide-Matic automatic headlight dimmer.

I think I'd trust a GM-Delco service and training publication over Wikipedia.😉

Don, does the 1960 owner's manual have a picture of the TS "manual-automatic" switch? Training manual indicates it's located above and to left of the main lamp switch.

Well, Glenn, time for you to re-edit the Wiki! No, I do not know how either.....🤣

I love real manuals.

On 8/10/2022 at 12:59 PM, rocketraider said:

Don, does the 1960 owner's manual have a picture of the TS "manual-automatic" switch? Training manual indicates it's located above and to left of the main lamp switch.

No picture just a description of the switch and how to use it.

• Like 1

A high optioned 60 wagon. I hope it was a total rust bucket by upstate New York standards.:o

Typical, does not look rusted to us easterners...😲

I do not even see any rust in that picture, where was the rust?

And those finned brake drums are valuable if not oversize.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 12:31 PM, Jim Anselmo said:

Rusted and smashed :(

IMG_5495 (2).JPEG

Agree w/Frank that's not rusty by east coast standards and especially upper midwest, but what in the pluperfect hell happened to that poor Burick?

Obviously a tree got the roof but the rest is ???

To have had the Twilight Sentinel my money says that Invicta was a pretty loaded and luxurious car for its time, and not exactly common either.

• Like 1

In many earlier years, Cadillac would not use a new feature or option until it was proven in another line.  In the 1940-1960's Oldsmobile or Buick got the option a year before Cadillac for field testing of a new accessory so there would be no problem on a Cadillac.

• Like 1