Carb Insulator Spacer for Flatheads thru '54

OrtonvilleBob

Flooding and vapor lock can be an issue with Flathead Pontiacs, especially in hot weather. Here's a suggested fix. The Carter WCD 2-bbl and some Rochester 2-bbl carbs share mounting hole spacing. Phenolic spacers are available for the Pontiac Rochester 2G Tri Power application. With a minor trim those spacers can be used with our flatheads. It's an alternative to stacking multiple mounting gaskets to achieve an insulating spacer.

Rochester 2G Insulator Spacer.jpg

Trimmed Spacer.jpg

Insulator & Heat Shield.jpg

Carb Heat Shield, Filter & Press Reg.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
23 hours ago, dallas2 said:

Yes, my Pontiac is a street rod. I'm working on a 1946 Packard that has a Carter WDO 512S carb.

Even though the bolt pattern is a little different I could make the heat shield work.

Thanks

s-l200.jpg

Heat shield i have is for a 1 barrel, dosen`t look near big enough to modify to a two barrel.

Ortonvillebob,

Really nice work, my question is about your plumbing around your carb.

Is that a electric fuel pump, down below? pressure reducer?

And what kind of fittings do you have off your exhaust manifold?  and where do they connect too.?

Any addtional pictures would be great, thanks for sharing you knowledge

Pont 46,

Here's some additional views. The fitting at the manifold is simply a tee in the vacuum line. That makes it really convenient to connect a vacuum gauge for carburetor adjustments and tune-ups. That's a fuel pressure regulator mounted to the inner fender. Not really needed but it ensures the fuel pressure delivered to the carb never exceeds my conservative setting of 4psi. The extra port on the regulator is also useful for troubleshooting. If there's any question about fuel pump operation a gauge can be connected to that port without disturbing the fittings at the fuel pump or carburetor.

I do have an electric fuel pump installed in series with the stock mechanical fuel pump. It's mounted back near the fuel tank and is controlled by a dash mounted switch. If the car hasn't been driven recently I turn on the pump for a minute or two to prime the fuel system and refill the float bowl. The pump can also be turned on in extremely hot weather to overcome vapor lock. To make sure gasoline doesn't continue to be pumped to the engine compartment in the event of an accident and/or engine fire there's an oil pressure safety switch wired into the circuit. If the engine stalls (no oil pressure) the feed to the electric fuel pump is interrupted.

Press Reg & Vacuum Tee.jpg

Electric Fuel Pump.jpg

Fuel Pump Switch.jpg

Oil Pressure Safety Sw.jpg

Pontiac1953, You noticed. Yep, I did get an Olds transmission pan so I could add that underhood filler tube and dipstick. Similarly, I added a remote reservoir on the firewall for the brake master cylinder. No more pulling up carpet to check and top off fluid levels.

• Like 1

ortonvillebob,

once again you amaze me, please let us know about process for firewall brake resevoir, how did you adapt the master cylinder ?

I also have a electric fuel pump, near gas tank , just in case, its a nice feature to have. Some of my race buddies use a 100 micron fuel filter near the tank and another, 30 micron filter near carb, yes probaly overkill , but they gave me the filters for free, and I was faced with peer pressure to install.

Would like to see you master cylinder redo? 

Pont 46,

I was surprised that adding a remote reservoir for the master cylinder would be so easy. Although there are many styles of reservoirs available (Wilwood is a popular brand) I went with this complete kit from Big Mike's Motor Pool. The photo shows it installed on a vintage military truck master cylinder. I figured if it was good enough for the vintage military truck guys it was good enough for my vintage Pontiac. My electrical system has been upgraded to replace the stock generator with an alternator. Alternators don't use an external voltage regulator. The real-estate on the firewall where the voltage regulator had been mounted was the perfect home for mounting the remote reservoir.

Remote Reservoir Kit.JPG

Brake Master Cyl Fitting.jpg

Master Cylinder Reservoir.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 7:59 PM, OrtonvilleBob said:

I added a remote reservoir on the firewall for the brake master cylinder. No more pulling up carpet to check and top off fluid levels.

Looks like you tapped into your original master cylinder cap. Was there a couple small vent holes you had to seal/weld?

If I am not mistaken, there is some year of Buick that has a master cylinder under the floor and a remote reservoir on the firewall. 1954? I believe the bit at the end of the hose would just screw into the lid hole on the master cylinder of many other GM cars.

On 1/18/2023 at 5:59 PM, OrtonvilleBob said:

No more pulling up carpet to check and top off fluid levels

Could you really reach that by pulling the carpet up? It looks to be in the same godawful spot as my 1936, and I can't get to my lid through the floor. I considered doing a conversion like this once upon a time. I've since made the decision not to, but it remains a hassle to check the brake fluid so you never know. Thanks for posting the pics.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

17 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Looks like you tapped into your original master cylinder cap. Was there a couple small vent holes you had to seal/weld?

The remote reservoir kit included the drilled/tapped replacement filler cap. The tapped fitting is a standard 1/8" NPT. That's what I liked about that particular kit, it included everything. I didn't want to risk screwing up my original filler cap in case I needed or wanted to go back to stock. But you are absolutely correct, if one were to use their original filler cap the vent hole on the top side of the cap would need to be sealed with something like JB Weld.

16 hours ago, Bloo said:

If I am not mistaken, there is some year of Buick that has a master cylinder under the floor and a remote reservoir on the firewall. 1954? I believe the bit at the end of the hose would just screw into the lid hole on the master cylinder of many other GM cars.

Could you really reach that by pulling the carpet up? It looks to be in the same godawful spot as my 1936, and I can't get to my lid through the floor. I considered doing a conversion like this once upon a time. I've since made the decision not to, but it remains a hassle to check the brake fluid so you never know. Thanks for posting the pics.

Bloo, that's interesting about the Buicks. I did a little research on that and it appears the remote reservoir was hard plumbed and unique to the power brake master cylinder. Standard brakes still used the old style master cylinder with a filler cap.

You don't have a floor access panel on your '36? I wonder when Pontiac started adding them. Here's what the access panel looks like on a '53. These photos were taken as I was prepping the floor for carpet, prior to the remote reservoir installation, but shows there's lots of access to the master cylinder filler cap. But what a pain to pull back the carpet and still have to remove a half dozen hex head screws.

Floor Panel - Brake Access.jpg

Floor Panel - Installed.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OrtonvilleBob said:

The remote reservoir kit included the drilled/tapped replacement filler cap. The tapped fitting is a standard 1/8" NPT. That's what I liked about that particular kit, it included everything. I didn't want to risk screwing up my original filler cap in case I needed or wanted to go back to stock. But you are absolutely correct, if one were to use their original filler cap the vent hole on the top side of the cap would need to be sealed with something like JB Weld.

Which kit did you buy from BigMike. All the ones i could find didn`t show to have the screw on cap, only the tapped 1/8" fitting. This is what i would want without the master cylinder.Remote Reservoir Kit.JPG

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

Not mine. It's about where @OrtonvilleBob's is, but has to be accessed from under the hood while fighting the steering column and whatever else is in the way, probably the pedal linkages. The easily removable piece is for access to the battery.

That`s right, forgot about the battery under your feet, on the drivers side of `35-36 Pontiac. 35-36 Chevy battery is under the passenger side floor board, and 36 Buick battery is under the passenger side seat, both of their M-cyls are under the drivers feet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Which kit did you buy from BigMike. All the ones i could find didn`t show to have the screw on cap, only the tapped 1/8" fitting. This is what i would want without the master cylinder.

pont35cpe, I don't see a kit that includes the tapped filler cap either. Either that kit is no longer available or I'm remembering incorrectly (probably the latter). Fortunately, that piece can be purchased separately from suppliers of military jeep brake parts. If a jeep was equipped for fording, meaning driving thru deep water, the standard filler cap couldn't be used because the vent would be underwater. The Willys Jeep part number for the filler cap tapped to accept a 1/8" NPT fitting is WO-119513. There's currently some NOS listed on eBay for $20.

1 hour ago, OrtonvilleBob said:

pont35cpe, I don't see a kit that includes the tapped filler cap either. Either that kit is no longer available or I'm remembering incorrectly (probably the latter). Fortunately, that piece can be purchased separately from suppliers of military jeep brake parts. If a jeep was equipped for fording, meaning driving thru deep water, the standard filler cap couldn't be used because the vent would be underwater. The Willys Jeep part number for the filler cap tapped to accept a 1/8" NPT fitting is WO-119513. There's currently some NOS listed on eBay for $20.

Thanks Bob, that cap will work for me. Looks like you used a rubber O-ring for a gasket. I`m going with a Wilwood remote reservoir kit. Thanks again..