rockne kingpins

recently purchased a 1932 studebaker rockne model 65. any idea where i might source

a kingpin set for this rockne? i've had several maybe's, but can't seem to find anything.

i did buy myself a studebaker parts interchange manual, but no other studebaker is a match.

any and all help would be appreciated. i did see the topic discussed in past post, i do

apologize if this is old news.

thanks in advance for any and all info

I got a set years ago from George Rohrbach and saved the box.

The label indicates the King Bolt Set No. 197 fits '32-'33 Rockne, '34-'39 Studebaker and '37-'39 Studebaker Truck

Appears to be from Andrews Parts Mfg. Co. of New York, NY. probably defunct.

Image (13).jpg

Edited by starlightcoupe (see edit history)

I was pretty sure they were the same as my 34 Dictator as Starlightcoupe's picture shows. I think I have a spare set of NOS however they are my spare set. LOL I can take some measurements from them if I do have them and send them to you to have made. For some reason though, I thought Studebaker PArts.com had them. I'll look and post back here if I find them.

Thanks albtrossca, i think i'm closing in on a solution. machine shop is making the pins

and hopefully figuring out the bushings.

this seems like a truly great forum, i've got a bunch to learn on this journey.

but i'm having a blast.

thanks to all

• Like 2

Just to add some possibly useful info, here is the drawing for the early type of king pins used on the M5 truck.  The drawing shows the type of steel used and the heat treat procedure.  The result is case hardening to about 0.035" deep while keeping the core tough but not brittle.  Clark and Spicer both made some of the pins, used different steel and heat treat.  The later pins, p/n 677608, used in 2R and later 1/2-ton trucks with better knuckles, were exactly 0.250" longer on each end.  I thought about having a batch of these made but didn't want to own the liability issues.

What are the dimensions of the pins you are having made?

image.png.e57d9d94dbe5bc66f1e685a3008337f8.png

• Like 1

I was able to double check my stock, and I am very sorry that I DO NOT have the right ones.

I do have kits for the later Planar Suspension models, but they are different part numbers.

Hope this information helps, the aftermarket crossover number that you need is K111. I think both Thompson and Toledo used that same number. 

• 2 weeks later...

gary

it turns out someone had done a bad job on this kingpin in the past. the machine shop rebored it

and replaced the bushings. the pin itself was reusable. he thinks the problem was that it was not

bored correctly. no play at all and seems to be free. i am happy

thanks for all the post

joe

Look at the picture of the kingpin set that George posted above.

It looks like the Rockne set also fits all standard axles 1934 to 1939.

I still have one set left.@180.00 including shipping.

It is complete with bushings ,bearings and shims. Sold

Robert Kapteyn

studebaker (at) mac.com

Replace the(at) with @

Edited by rbk
Add Sold (see edit history)
  • Like 1