My ‘38 special business coupe revival thread

TwoLousGarage

Hi guys,

a few weeks back I joined the forum to search for info about my new-to-me ‘38 Buick. I introduced myself and have since started the preservation effort. Below is the first video I made documenting the progress. Still working on getting the motor unstuck, but I was pleasantly surprised how well the paint came back with a little compound and some time spent working my DA polisher. I will post additional video updates as they come. 

Louie

E40E7D89-6111-4B95-A2CE-7992946EA209.jpeg.0af0c686470f0095c1e7c1b47bfca5bf.jpeg

• Like 12

Hi Louie and Louie.

Great story and great video. Impressed with the condition and hope you preserve it as a great ten footer. The difference in paint is amazing. There will be other on this forum who can help with photos and measurements for the missing trim. IMO ‘38 is the pinnacle year for Buick.

Cant wait to see the next video and progress!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

PS. There are some great blogs on here detailing what others have done which will be useful when dismantling and refurbishment of components. Helped me considerably when I had my ‘38. Enjoy!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi Louie and Louie.

Great story and great video. Impressed with the condition and hope you preserve it as a great ten footer. The difference in paint is amazing. There will be other on this forum who can help with photos and measurements for the missing trim. IMO ‘38 is the pinnacle year for Buick.

Cant wait to see the next video and progress!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

PS. There are some great blogs on here detailing what others have done which will be useful when dismantling and refurbishment of components. Helped me considerably when I had my ‘38. Enjoy!!!

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words and optimism. I believe we will have a nice weathered driver when it’s all said and done.

the primary reason I joined this forum was exactly threat- for the detailed threads and info. What I’ve found is that Facebook groups have more foot traffic, but so much misinformation. Guys on forums have often been around the cars their entire lives, and active helping out other members for significant lengths of time. I also am

joining the 36-38 club. 

will update as we go! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just for giggles, while you have the engine out, check the flywheel timing marks verses #1 piston.

Often, if the flywheel has been removed, they are put on wrong. There is no positive indicator or locating pin the insure the flywheel is oriented correctly.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally back on the ‘38. It took a while to gather the parts needed. I had to wait almost 2 months for motor mounts. Anyways, I am working on the brakes this week. Rebuilt the master cylinder and will paint it tomorrow (cast iron grey). I am going to try and run the new brake lines this week as well. I also did do a quick buffing of the paint, but it needs more work. We bought a 1972 GS 455 convertible project recently that has also taken some of our attention away. 

CC7060AE-D4A6-4206-9AC6-4F145073894F.jpeg

25A3E946-A387-4E42-8EED-72222DCAFEA4.jpeg

2852A2E9-523C-4772-83C2-307F7E00B586.jpeg

62868609-1AD5-4B69-A35E-9C280A7447D5.jpeg

901CC44E-43DD-4754-A1E7-1A26283D9EED.jpeg

• Like 5