Ever wonder how many truck loads of cars are on their way to Car Week in Monterey?

1937hd45

Never really wondered how many, but have been to ALL of the big shows/auctions at one time or another over my 40+ years of transporting with customers cars. We see each other on the road, in truck stops or rest areas. Sometimes just a nod or a thumbs up, other times a short conversation about which one we are going to with what kind of vehicles.

Not attending any shows, but taking a gorgeous 48 Buick Woody Wagon from here in Ohio out to Issaquah, Wa the week of the 14th. Then reloading in Seattle down to San Diego, then reload back east. Honestly the shows are more of a pain now that I have attended all of them at one time or another over the years.

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Where cars go between the trucks, and the venue is a little known and poorly understood part of the hobby. It’s sort of like the kitchen in a very busy tourist restaurant. You don’t want to know the answer, and you shouldn’t even think about the question. 

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

Where cars go between the trucks, and the venue is a little known and poorly understood part of the hobby. It’s sort of like the kitchen in a very busy tourist restaurant. You don’t want to know the answer, and you shouldn’t even think about the question. 

That is for sure!

And, no, I do not know details.

And no, I do not seriously wonder about it. In spite of the fact that I have known many people that show their cars there (mostly West coasters that do not have short term storage issues?), and have been aware of the storage situation for a very long time.

Let me just say this......if people have seen what I have seen, they would almost NEVER ship a car............I use InterCity EXCLUSIVELY.........and won't even consider any other carrier. I also handle our cars much of the time myself, and have used a few trusted independents. I also contract that the car once placed the truck DOES NOT MOVE until it arrives at the final destination. 90 percent of the time I unload the car myself. I usually send cars to trusted friends collections when they need to await the show...........shipping a car is the thing nightmares are made of. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Back in the late 90's/early 00's a close friend of mine was a transporter who had to have back surgery & was unable to drive for what turned out to be a year+. He had a contract with a local company Dave Polson's Autowerks (spelled different, but ironic just the same) who transported & long term stored show cars/ Exotics to all the major events. I agreed to help my friend & take over for a while. These were two Featherlites 48 ft tri axle 2 car & 53 ft tri axle 3 car with a lift in the front, so we would do mostly 2 at a time to the shows. I can remember several times I would arrive, unload the cars, meet the owners & hand them the keys to the trailer. I would then take a cab to the airport, fly home, (then back a few days later depending on how long the show was) They would use the trailer for overnight parking while they were there. These were generally parking areas just for the transport trucks & most had security

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Edited by Bills Auto Works (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Bill....on the Duesenberg tour, we rent an entire trailer so we have additional area for servicing the car, carrying spare parts, and can park the car inside at night if needed. My favorite story......... I was loading a Duesenberg(Not ours) on a trailer of a national carrier.........the guy wanted it upstairs. I refused. Then he asked where in Germany it was built. He said he needed to load and unload it two times before delivery........and he didn't know how to drive a stick. That is who are driving 98 percent of the trucks today. Or the time they were trying to jump start a car in the trailer that didn't start. Seems to me a 25 million dollar car shouldn't be jump started by a guy who didn't know if it was 6 or 12 volt. Or the time I saw a car fall off the back of the ramp while it was five feet up in the air...(multiple times)..........

PS- I only use selected driver who prefer moving show cars...........there are not many of them. Also.....while the trucks are sitting at the show.....THE DRIVER IS NOT BEING PAID! It is down time.........think about that when trucks at Pebble are there for 10-14 days. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Bill....on the Duesenberg tour, we rent an entire trailer so we have additional area for servicing the car, carrying spare parts, and can park the car inside at night if needed. My favorite story......... I was loading a Duesenberg(Not ours) on a trailer of a national carrier.........the guy wanted it upstairs. I refused. Then he asked where in Germany it was built. He said he needed to load and unload it two times before delivery........and he didn't know how to drive a stick. That is who are driving 98 percent of the trucks today. Or the time they were trying to jump start a car in the trailer that didn't start. Seems to me a 25 million dollar car shouldn't be jump started by a guy who didn't know if it was 6 or 12 volt. Or the time I saw a car fall off the back of the ramp while it was five feet up in the air...(multiple times)..........

PS- I only use selected driver who prefer moving show cars...........there are not many of them. Also.....while the trucks are sitting at the show.....THE DRIVER IS NOT BEING PAID! It is down time.........think about that when trucks at Pebble are there for 10-14 days. 

Ed,

I will bet you & I could sit down in one of our shops with one or more of our favorite "Libations" & tell horror stories we have witnessed or heard from customers (who used some of those bottom feeders) back & forth for hours!  We would laugh heartily, but the fact that they happen is sad & disgusting! You are completely right on a couple of points...If the owners of the cars knew some of these stories, it would scare them to death & "The driver does not get paid"  . I have been turning down the vast majority of show requests these past few years. I am doing the Detroit Concourse De Elegance in Sept, but that is a one day show, so it really doesn't count. What I have done many times to counteract the down time not getting paid (since I am heavily addicted to the hobby) is to have the customer get me a hotel room & a pass for all of the show days, so I can enjoy it as well. I try to provide a little extra for that as they know I am available at a moments notice if any problems happen, help setup & tear down displays & check on the car form time to time allowing the owners the freedom to enjoy other activities on the grounds...just always seemed the right thing to do!

God Bless

Bill

Edited by Bills Auto Works (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Most of the drivers I have encountered have been professional.   They are all trying to do the right thing for the most part,  but you are talking about every different car imaginable.   When you are loading the car, you need to go over the starting and operating instructions with the driver,  and you should have a laminated cheat sheet sitting on the passenger seat.

What most people don't realize,  is that with a big carrier going cross country,  you car may come on and off multiple times on the route.    10 years ago,  my car was in the belly and the driver asked me if I would move the 427 Corba that was up top but blocking my car.   Nothing like being in somebody else's car 10 feet in the air trying to not back 500HP off the ramp and down on the the ground.

• Like 2

AJ....remember the guys who opened the trunk on your 500K looking to jump start it? I actually had to scream at them to live the car alone. While it was an auction crew......basically anyone who handles cars never uses enough care. Look at the advertisements for volunteers to work at the auctions.........yes, volunteers. You think a 17 year old kid can handle a 800 horsepower car? Understanding how to start, and move them? Yes, there are good carriers, good drivers, and good auction people. Problem is the twenty percent that have no idea what they are doing is a reflection on the entire industry. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

This mishap was probably about the worst:  https://flatsixes.com/porsche-news/porsche-speedsters-in-train-wreck/

Craig

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Ever wonder how many truck loads of cars are on their way to Car Week in Monterey?
1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Let me just say this......if people have seen what I have seen, they would almost NEVER ship a car............I use InterCity EXCLUSIVELY.........and won't even consider any other carrier. I also handle our cars much of the time myself, and have used a few trusted independents. I also contract that the car once placed the truck DOES NOT MOVE until it arrives at the final destination. 90 percent of the time I unload the car myself. I usually send cars to trusted friends collections when they need to await the show...........shipping a car is the thing nightmares are made of. 

We have a place here in Scottsdale that houses, consigns and sells "exotic and antique" cars out of a large warehouse, you may know the guy... (some are far from exotic or antique btw).

As I've watched the cars come and go (used to work close by) over the years, I've often wondered how many were there for storage purposes and if the owners knew what was going on behind the scenes. 

Now, I'm not worthy of judging what some of you are capable of due to your experience and expertise from being exposed to such fine automobiles, but after reading your comments and reflecting back at how many cars were shifted around on those open haulers (by asshats that obviously didn't know how to handle antiques) in the middle of the street those days in Scottsdale it confirms what I've always SMH at, that even a novice like myself can see that not all transport companies are the same... 

It may be okay to ship a project car on an open hauler (I'm sure most of us have done it) but not a well preserved or museum quality restored antique.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Most of the drivers I have encountered have been professional.   They are all trying to do the right thing for the most part,  but you are talking about every different car imaginable.   When you are loading the car, you need to go over the starting and operating instructions with the driver,  and you should have a laminated cheat sheet sitting on the passenger seat.

What most people don't realize,  is that with a big carrier going cross country,  you car may come on and off multiple times on the route.    10 years ago,  my car was in the belly and the driver asked me if I would move the 427 Corba that was up top but blocking my car.   Nothing like being in somebody else's car 10 feet in the air trying to not back 500HP off the ramp and down on the the ground.

My brother has a 1913 motorcycle that one cannot 'just role' to move from point a to point b. There is a specific sequence needed to free the spin of the rear wheel. Many years ago when we were showing it a lot, we did just that. Had a large print made up, laminated and hung form the handlebar to explain the procedure. Even then it was nerves leaving it parked someplace with yahoos. I cant imagine doing so with a high dollar car!

To the original question, I was working in DC at the same time the AACA event was happening in VA this past spring. We were travelling I95 basically from the DE line to DC ever day for a couple of weeks. I noticed quite a few enclosed car transporters then the dimly lit light bulb went off in my head that they must have been travelling to the show. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 4:28 PM, edinmass said:

Cars started heading to Monterey well over three months ago. 

This raises another question to me, what about the load out? If there is a limited amount of specific transport carriers to get them in, wouldn't it take another 3-4 months to return them or ship them to there new destination?

7 minutes ago, John348 said:

This raises another question to me, what about the load out? If there is a limited amount of specific transport carriers to get them in, wouldn't it take another 3-4 months to return them or ship them to there new destination?

I posted a picture of the truck lot before. When I get in front of my computer I will find one. There are cars trickling in a month or two a ahead of time, but I’m going to guess that 90% of them show up within 10 days of the show. The auctions are all towards the end of the week. And then within three or four days after everything‘s gone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

[4K] Virtual Tour along Monterey California 17-Mile Drive Pebble Beach - Bing video

Just watched this video of a tour on 17 mile Drive, first one I've seen driving North, so much to do during Car Week. I have to watch it again, not sure were it starts, but they spliced in Pebble Beach at the end. Hope every that gets to go has a good time. Bob 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1