Another 1960 LeSabre!

parkertom

I have now taken in a 3rd 1960 LeSabre with the addition of this Chalet Blue convertible last week. Came to me in Virginia from Ohio where it had been owned by the same family for about 36 years. It is an older restoration that was done when the 70 year old father mentioned wishing he could have the car he had as a younger man. Apparently they were viewing some old family movies at the time and there was a shot of him driving in blue convertible he owned. It was originally Chalet Blue with a white top and red vinyl interior. I like the light blue top with Chalet Blue but, have a hard time visualizing the red interior in a blue car. I think the change to blue was a good choice. They finished the project and enjoyed the car for a bit before the father could no longer drive and the car sat for several years until after his death. The son got it out of storage and refreshed several items before selling it because he wouldn't have anywhere to keep it after his 93 year old mother passes.

I had been on the look out for another 60 convertible that was in better condition than my current one and was glad to come across this car a few months ago. After some back and forth with the seller over time, I was able to get it within a reasonable price. The body and paint are all in great condition and the top looks to be brand new. It has been here for a little over a week now and it seems like we have had our daily summer storms since it came. Though I did get it out over the weekend to swap out for new tires and to begin making a list of some near term items that will need to be addressed this fall/winter.

I have recently listed my white 60 convertible for sale through an eBay auction since I will need to preserve some space in the garage and my time. For now, this convertible will be right at home with my Lucerne Green 60 Lesabre sedan.

IMG_6250.JPG

IMG_6253.JPG

IMG_6213.JPG

• Like 12

Took the blue LeSabre convertible for its first outing last week. Opening reception for an automobilia exhibit here in town. 

It looks like the power brake booster may need to be rebuilt. If I push and hold the pedal down as far as it will go, brakes will stick on until I turn car off to release the pressure. Going to have to check idle too, seems to low while in gear. Generator is making some noise too. Will need to check the oil cups and brushes.

38DFA04A-CE5A-4B5F-9BB9-BAF12FD0579D.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I enjoyed getting this out a bit last summer into the fall. During the off season, I pulled the master cylinder and power brake booster for rebuild. I noticed that, with full pressure, the brakes would hold until the car was turned off and pressure was relieved from the system. Thanks to posts from @avgwarhawk on his experience with his Electra, I was quickly pointed to the booster as likely culprit. After rebuild and reinstallation, all is well. Cleaned it up on Friday for a show Saturday but the rain had other plans.

IMG_8590.jpeg

IMG_8034.jpeg

• Like 3

I'm glad my experience and resulting repairs helped with your 60.  I tell you, all 4 wheels locked up sitting in a lane of traffic with no hazard lights is nothing short of terrifying. The car would simply not budge.  I removed the vacuum hose to the booster and the brakes released.  Drove home with no power brakes. 

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Tom, this car is gorgeous! I’ve been trying to find this exact car for the same reason as the previous owner, it was my fathers first car as well and I know he would love to own one again, and I would love to be the one to get it for him. If you ever want to sell please reach out to me. My name is Brian and I live in NY. My phone number is 5167884264. Perhaps you could even lead me in the right direction to find another, it seems you have had quite a bit of experience with these. Thanks! 

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2024 at 7:51 PM, CarGuyNY said:

Tom, this car is gorgeous! I’ve been trying to find this exact car for the same reason as the previous owner, it was my fathers first car as well and I know he would love to own one again, and I would love to be the one to get it for him. If you ever want to sell please reach out to me. My name is Brian and I live in NY. My phone number is 5167884264. Perhaps you could even lead me in the right direction to find another, it seems you have had quite a bit of experience with these. Thanks! 

Thanks Brian! I really love the colors on this one and feel like I don’t seem them too often. I’ll keep you in mind if I get the itch to sell. I have worked up to this one over the last 9 years or so between buying and selling cars. This is the 4th 1960 LeSabre I have owned in various body styles. Down to just this one now. 

As for finding them, like any other you have to just keep your eyes open and check all the usual places. The Buick Buy/Sell forum participants are pretty good about posting when they pop up around the country. The key is finding a good one.

• Like 2