1910 Overland roadster, new addition to my small collection

trimacar

A few weeks ago I put out a teaser post that I was getting another car, I apologize that I had to delete that thread.  Two other collectors and I were in the middle of finalizing a deal on four cars, and the word got out and it seemed the owner was waffling.  We thought maybe someone else had gotten to him, so I pulled the thread.

All is done and good now, and the Model 38 Overland roadster is in my garage.  Not a perfect car by any means, but solid and all there.  I'll be playing with it, now going through the pre-start ritual of hoses, belts, fluids, and so forth.

I was quite surprised how big the car is, it dwarfs my Model 20 Hupmobile roadster (seen in the background).....

Overland blue removed.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

David, by the look of the photo, the two cars are G scale and the trains are N scale. Just kidding but that’s an impressive display of model railway. Appears to be O scale but I might be wrong.

Good luck with your new ride!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Nice addition to the collection! Is the upholstery the first thing to get inspected and corrected? 

Well, I cleaned the upholstery somewhat, so interesting question.  Whoever did the upholstery had some good techniques, but I fear foam under the leather.  Sigh.  It’s in good shape though…

No plans to change now, want a running driving car in whatever shape it ends up, as long as I don’t have to pick up pieces falling off when driving.

Have it on good authority that the Model 38 is a good tour car, 40 all day long and 50 if one needs it…

• Like 5

1 minute ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

David, by the look of the photo, the two cars are G scale and the trains are N scale. Just kidding but that’s an impressive display of model railway. Appears to be O scale but I might be wrong.

Good luck with your new ride!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

S Scale, American Flyer, grew up in the 50s so I collect three number AF, which is pre 1959 or so…and that’s not all of it, my wife asks “you know you have these closets full of trains, right?”!!

• Haha 4

Dave, congrats on picking up such a wonderful car.

I know you'll do well with the car.

I just don't think you'll get the same deal for paint and body as you did with your Pierce. :D

2 minutes ago, zepher said:

Dave, congrats on picking up such a wonderful car.

I know you'll do well with the car.

I just don't think you'll get the same deal for paint and body as you did with your Pierce. :D

Ha!  No kidding, that was quite the brother in law deal.  I don’t think you could buy the paint now for what that job cost me!  Oh well, there’s always spray can Rustoleum!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/3/2022 at 6:50 PM, trimacar said:

Have it on good authority that the Model 38 is a good tour car, 40 all day long and 50 if one needs it…

I will verify the above facts/conjecture when I stop by the shop next time. 😎 You know the drill......drive it like you stole it!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

I agree.  Overlands are robust cars just like Buicks....; but I am a little bit biased.

Yes, doesn’t hold a candle to my 1910 Buick Model 16 toy tonneau, but it’s a nice size and closer to being on the road!

• Like 2

Very Nice, I would not kick it out of my garage. Worked on one with a similar engine years ago. That Overland power was a lot of fun to drive and turned a lot of heads. When warm it also started with 1/2 a turn of the crank. May it bring you many enjoyable and trouble free miles. 😃 Dandy Dave!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, trimacar said:

Yes, doesn’t hold a candle to my 1910 Buick Model 16 toy tonneau, but it’s a nice size and closer to being on the road!

Congrats, David,

You continue to be one of my mentors going back to the 1970s and ongoing.

Hopefully, we'll get you and your delightful bride (along with grandkids) into national touring, which is where the real fun continues.

I've never seen an epitaph quoting a wish to have spent more time at work.

Now that our travel has become so restricted, we look back and appreciate the many years, the many friends, the many miles, the many tours which have been a huge part of our lives, as well as those of our children and grandson. Thank you for being a major part of that - and now get out and travel while you can.

• Like 2

Hi, David!  Congratulations on your new Overland!  I have a '59 FC170, so we are almost cousins!  Do you think your Overland was originally white?