Rubber parts

If anybody has ever looked in vain for those door or trunk/rumble seat lid bumpers, rubber spacers/washers look no farther than the humble hockey puck. The hard rubber hockey puck can be sawed, drilled, sanded, ground, milled, turned in a lathe and they are readily available and cheap. I was making rumble seat lid bumpers the other day and realized I’ve never seen a thread on the subject so though I’d pass it on for that ever it worth.

DSC06843.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Nice puck.  My compliments to the chef.  It looks like it may have seen a few shins, teeth and skate blades.

Brad point drills or punches are best for putting holes in rubber.  Ordinary pointed drills make a messy hole that's smaller than the bit .           Turning or milling rubber requires a razor sharp tool that will sever it compared to tougher materials that will produce chips.

That puck has history with many stories to tell and deserved to have its picture taken. I found Forstner bits make the best holes and don't we all have razor sharp tools or is that the second thing to go.

Who cares about dull tools when your skates are sharp?

The summer solstice means we're getting closer to skating season.

I pray to the Ice Gods for a bitter cold winter with little snow.