2022 Hershey Eastern Fall Nationals - Strict Deadline changed to August 22nd! Update

11 hours ago, canadiancreed said:

Ya it would be on the show field (figure if I'm driving for eight hours with the wheels i'm looking at, might as well put it in the show.). Grass could be fun if it rains, which if I remember right central PA has good odds of in early October? Guess I better get an umbrella :D

Be advised that the show field at Fall Hershey is located on parts of a former golf course. A number of years ago the Hershey area got Very HEAVY rains during Hershey week which flooded roads and parts of the area. I walked the show field the night before the show and the field had drained well and was darn firm for the amount of rain that week. The next day the show field held up very well under all the weight and traffic of the show cars.

As far as weather goes, bring a WIDE variety of clothing for  all types and temperatures of weather. One never knows what weather we will see at Fall Hershey each year.

• Like 1

Just got back in town from a car event this weekend and got a chance to look at this thread.  While there are a lot of events that have more cars, Hershey still is the largest single event dedicated to historically accurate cars in the world to my knowledge.  Other events allow all sorts of vehicles and do not encompass all that Hershey has to offer with a flea market and car corral that are expected to be sell-outs this year.  In any case the debate is senseless since you would be hard pressed to find people more dedicated than those coming to "Hershey" as it is a unique and special event.  It is what it is and to many people it is the best week of the year.  

The point of this thread was we need more show cars this year!!  Not sure what the reason for a lower than number of registrants so far this year (Friday show, COVID, fuel prices, Monkeypox or fatigue from the press!) but folks we need you!  PLEASE REGISTER NOW!  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Just got back in town from a car event this weekend and got a chance to look at this thread.  While there are a lot of events that have more cars, Hershey still is the largest single event dedicated to historically accurate cars in the world to my knowledge.  Other events allow all sorts of vehicles and do not encompass all that Hershey has to offer with a flea market and car corral that are expected to be sell-outs this year.  In any case the debate is senseless since you would be hard pressed to find people more dedicated than those coming to "Hershey" as it is a unique and special event.  It is what it is and to many people it is the best week of the year.  

The point of this thread was we need more show cars this year!!  Not sure what the reason for a lower than number of registrants so far this year (Friday show, COVID, fuel prices, Monkeypox or fatigue from the press!) but folks we need you!  PLEASE REGISTER NOW!  

Thanks Steve - RIGHT ON!!!

Your club is asking for your support for all their efforts ,THEY SUPPORT YOU ALL YEAR LONG so if you can make the effort , do so for all those working to let you have the grandest experience that you can.

Steve, I just received a text from an AACA member that mailed his request card in but has not received his registration card. I recommended he call HQ. Maybe you could email him the form since it is kinda late for you to mail it???

He lives near Hershey. Has the AACA or Hershey Post Office been having service problems lately????? Might explain the lower than normal show car registration.

On 8/7/2022 at 8:34 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

There is virtually no worry about mud on the show field

after rain.  The whole club found this out several years ago,

when we had 9 or 10 inches of rain just prior to the show!

The field is a former golf course--evidently so well designed

that drainage is no problem.  There was almost no mud at all.

It was amazing.

I laughed when I read this because it brought back memories of a meet in the early 80's they had to call in the National Gaurd to pull people out of the mud! LOL 

• Steve Moskowitz changed the title to 2022 Hershey Eastern Fall Nationals - Strict Deadline changed to August 22nd! Update
On 8/7/2022 at 8:34 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

There is virtually no worry about mud on the show field

after rain.  The whole club found this out several years ago,

when we had 9 or 10 inches of rain just prior to the show!

The field is a former golf course--evidently so well designed

that drainage is no problem.  There was almost no mud at all.

It was amazing.

To clarify, depends what row you are in :)  In 36B class one year definitely had a lot of mud under my car that year as you need to park on a slight hill for some classes (and tires for many were all spinning)...luckily, I have a lift at home and took a few hours to clean it all up when home.  As the youngest judge selected as undercarriage that year :) , I can confirm mud was on a number of cars (where we are instructed not to deduct FYI when that happens).  A number of years before that in the rain, same thing and I didn't notice all the mud until the spring after all hardened up...live and learn...clean it up right away ;)  I agree on the flat areas on field, somewhat moot.  All good.  

Edited by ChazA (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here's one possible reason, which I hadn't thought of, 

that the show-car numbers have fallen so much:

Traffic.

I was talking to one member, who lives 45-60 minutes

away from Hershey.  One couple have been to every

Hershey show for 20 years;  this year they did not register. 

They do not want to fight Friday traffic with their old car.

For the Friday show, the normal show traffic will be

combined with Harrisburg's rush-hour traffic--no fun

in an old car.

I'll be there.  I'll adjust my timing and route to avoid

traffic as much as possible.  I hope it works!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I went to Lancaster yesterday for a car show. Its usually about an hour. With Sat traffic and who knows what kind of kafluffle that had the main road closed south of the city, the trip home was over 2 hours. Miserable in the heat and hoping my car would not overheat. Made it home fine which gave me boost of confidence. I am looking forward to Hershey more than ever now!  

11 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Here's one possible reason, which I hadn't thought of, 

that the show-car numbers have fallen so much:

Traffic.

I was talking to one member, who lives 45-60 minutes

away from Hershey.  One couple have been to every

Hershey show for 20 years;  this year they are not. 

They do not want to fight Friday traffic with their old car.

For the Friday show, the normal show traffic will be

combined with Harrisburg's rush-hour traffic--no fun

in an old car.

I'll be there.  I'll adjust my timing and route to avoid

traffic as much as possible.  I hope it works!

In my earlier life I did that if possible.    Adjust my time.  Take a nap.  Eat dinner.  Start earlier==  or later.  Change routes.   

Ben

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

In my earlier life I did that if possible.    Adjust my time.  Take a nap.  Eat dinner.  Start earlier==  or later.  Change routes.   

Ben

Hey, Ben.  Hope all is 

Alas!  Already planned for traffic in Mayberry and now this...😝  FYI...Harrisburg weekends are usually a mess too.  

• Like 2

I just tried to register the 1925 White. Typed in the info and it seemed to just dissapear? If I have to print something forget about it. We don't have any printers around here that work. They never get used enough and the ink dries up and renders them junk. If I just need to get the info in and run a credit card that would be OK. There is no printing going on here. Dandy Dave.

18 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

sent PM

I'm registered. Should be a fun day. The old White usually has quite a crowd around it at a local show. Can't wait to see the crowd around it at Hershey. You would think it was a Dusenburg or something other than a rusty old truck the way folks levitate past all the shiny stuff to look at it and watch it run. 🙃 Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So now that registration has closed and all the procrastinators have hopefully registered for the show, how are the number of registered show cars looking for this year?

How are the number of judges who have signed up looking? 

This morning on my drive to work I started having memories of past Fall Hershey events.

You know, the sun rising over the dew covered ground, fog in places covering the fields, that hint of fall in the air.

I'm so looking forward to another great Hershey event this year as well as seeing and judging some great vehicles!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

What's the over/under on how many people show up Saturday and wonder where the show went?

Was thinking about that myself. How many spectators have no idea? It has always been on Saturday since the begining of time.

We have more cars to enter but it looks like we will be over 1,000 vehicles again.  Thank you!  The procrastinators won out again but came through at the end!

We are all worried about guests showing up on the wrong day.  The automotive media is going to put the word out, especially Hemmings and Old Cars.  We also have a press release going out to 425 other media outlets including local radio, TV and newspapers but that being said, we expect a barrage of folks showing up on the wrong days, especially Saturday.  It is a shame.  We still have our own members who somehow did not get the word as well!  

• Like 2

Steve,

Would it be worth considering putting up a few 4'x6' signs along Hershey Park Drive the week before and during Hershey Week  informing the public about the Car Show Day change to Friday? Yes, I know that is old school but at least some of the locals from the area who go to car show might see the signs and not show up on Saturday. It might not be possible to post these signs on private property but at least there is the area right in front of the new headquarters. Even just there might help.

Hopefully WGAL TV from Lancaster will do one or more of their live remotes during Hershey week like they've done in the past. That would be a good opportunity to get the word out about the Car Show day change.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 9:30 PM, Gary56 said:

I was wanting to get my car in the show this year but time got away from me. It's too late to register for the show so hopefully I will make it next year.  

You had a lot of questions about this year's show.  Why not just attend as a spectator this year so you can see what to expect and ask questions at the show