1950 chrysler newyorker oil pressure very high

Notmechanic

I also am pretty sure it does have high oil pressure because the first hydraulic lifter (the one at the back of the motor) seems like the ball valve is not closing. That has also been taken out, cleaned and tested.i assume that there is so much oil pressure behind that first one in line that the ball valve cannot close and just bottoms out and ticks. 

Is the pressure relief valve and spring installed correctly.

The spring will pop right out...not the valve...

Was the engine recently rebuilt?

It has to be a very late production engine as the Rich Wilcox lifters were installed in late 1950 on the last straight 8's.

High oil pressure will pump up the lifter and hold the valve open...should not tick at all unless the lifter pellet ball won't seal on it's seat.

Edited by c49er (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I'm honestly not sure how you would install it incorrectly. In the maintenance manual everything that was in the picture is what came out and It looks like valve is the same either way you put it in. With the hole in the front that goes to the back out the side and vice versa. All the holes look the same size on both ends. And yes I am pretty sure the oil pressure is holding the ball valve open on the lifter first in line. Assuming the oil flow is moving from back to front. 

I re cleaned the oil pressure relief valve and also stuck some small wire in the two holes above the pressure relief valve to see if I could clear out any gunk. Still very high. I found that the wires to the solenoid on the transmission are severed. I wouldn't thing that would have anything to do with the high oil pressure. It having a separate oil pump and all. I'm not sure where to go from here. Pulling the engine and getting  it a acid bath is not in the cards for me. If anyone has any suggestions would be much appreciated 

Normally oil that bypasses the pressure relief valve dumps back in the crankcase, unless it goes to a bypass oil filter. On the Chrysler there is an oil passage on the side of the engine that may have a couple of plugs screwed into it. You could take out the plugs and blow thru to be sure the passage is open.

Do you have a repair manual? It is easy to put the pressure relief valve together wrong  and get enough pressure to launch a Sputnik. I have done this my self. If you have a good reference you could double check, it may have been messed up before you started.