63 Glove Box Door closing flush

Turbinator

Gents, I’m not certain of the many contributors to 63 Riv glove box door not wanting to close flush. After a number of doors and key locks I finally found the winning combination. Seems like key lock had to have both screws in place. The little springs on the door hinges help. The right side of the glove box door has two screws that have to be in place. The one screw on the top left of the door must be in place. I noticed the door is not square. Seems to me a bad start if the door you are hanging is not square. The door tries to be a rectangle. You can square a rectangle but you cannot rectangle a square. 
So, after 3 doors, two latches, over a period of 5 years I got er’ done. Persistence and resilience are a winning combination. The plodders make it.

Turbinator

C938326F-FFF6-43A2-A747-A8D9A4302BDA.jpeg

• Like 3

Good job, Bob!

The plastic doors seem to warp from the heat. Many do not sit flush because of this.

The lock mechanism gets corroded, so when you press the button, the door lid does not pop up enough to get it to lift open. Then people pry on the door and warp it more.  If the lock is stuck, you must remove the dash pad and work on it from above.  The lock mechanism needs a drop or two of oil now and then to operate smoothly.

Yes, all mounting screws need to be installed. GM usually gives some means of adjusting things to slide in and out, up and down, to fit better.  You need to find whatever adjustment is available and see if it can help you improve the fit.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

The first generation cars without the remote trunk release seem to have survived longer/better for obvious reasons as well.

Pat, if memory serves me you took the glove box frame out of the dash. You adjusted what was needed on the

bench. When adjustment was to your satisfaction you the reinstalled the glove box, door and frame. I thought that was neat.

Turbinator

5 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Nice job. I fiddled a lot with mine to get it close but never totally right.

DSCF7291.JPG

Tex_Riv, from what I can see the closure is as good as it is going to get. The door is not a rectangle. How to do you “square” an object that does not have be four 90 degree angles? Thank you for your compliment.

Turbinator

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

You need to find whatever adjustment is available and see if it can help you improve the fit.

Jim, I’m beginning to learn “adjusting to make things fit or work. I really enjoy watching highly skilled people solve mechanical, electrical, automotive repairs. Tom Telesco first comes to mind for his application of science to automotive repair. I’m addition Tom uses his knowledge to fix parts and not replace entire parts or assembly. I’ve witnessed his work first hand.

Thank you

Turbinator

(From Jim Cannon higher up in this thread)

The lock mechanism needs a drop or two of oil now and then to operate smoothly.

Thanks for bringing this tip to the forefront, Jim. I was doing some upkeep on my '63 Riv - actually pretty successfully buffing out some long bothersome wiper haze on the original windshield with a cerium oxide glass polish - when I 3-in-1 oiled the outside of the glove box lock cylinder via a needle-tip dispenser during a break in the action. After letting it sit for 20 minutes or so, a few pushes of the lock face had the lid popping up better than ever before, at least in my eight years of stewardship.

Sometimes it's these little tips that also pop up from time to time - one of the many things that makes this forum invaluable to all who read it. Kind regards,

I was at an ROA meet, I believe in PA. As I was walking by I saw this member slamming the ever livin' he!! out of his glove box door. It was NOT a 1st. gen. I asked him what he was hoping to accomplish before BREAKING it to MANY PIECES. HE, I'm trying to get my !!!! glove box door to close & lock. Told him to STOP for a minute. Opened the hood & removed the engine oil dipstick. Upon removal I turned it upside-down so the oil would run down the length of the stick instead of falling off the end. Got in the car & turned the stick down properly & let two drops drip onto the latch/lock assembly. Let it sit for a minute & pushed the lock button a few times until it was easy to push.

Now the door closed like butter like it hadn't done in years.

Tom T.

• Like 4