What MFG'r made this chain drive rear axle

alsfarms

This rear axle is a recent purchase.  The only description by seller suggested Maytag or Mason.  That may have been one of the automobile makes that used this rear axle but does not tell me the MFG.  I am guessing Weston-Mott and not ABB.  Speak up please if you are well versed in early chain drive automobiles and can identify this rear axle for sure.  Four pictures to follow.  IMG_20220801_115355648.jpg.ca7f636051dd4cad1111e8684c2298fd.jpgThanks in advance.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

Thanks for posting the reference to a different chain drive rear axle.  It does look similar.  What make automobile uses full elliptic rear springs between 1904 and 1910. That may help determine what vehicle this rear axle was installed in.  I would still like confirmation and details on the actual Manufacturer of this rear axle.

Al

13 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Do any of you have early chain drive projects in the works?

Al

I don't but in order to find your answers you may have to revert to publications of the time such as Automobile Topics or Automotive Industries (if they were around that early) to see if any credits were published by the NACC. Earliest I have for Cadillac is 1929 calendar year specs showing BLC (Brown-Lipe Chapin) for the MFG but probably doesn't help much, I'm only passing it along to give you an example of where one might look for the answers.

Also, check with digital libraries like HahtiTrust Digital Library. I've had very good luck researching most anything automotive on there. 

HathiTrust Digital Library | Millions of books online

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

You're welcome Al

This is from a quick search for 1903 Automobile Topics. 

Full-text Search Results | HathiTrust Digital Library

Honestly, I was horrible at finding things but found the best way to learn is to spend hours searching. Always select "Full Text" to see it all in each magazine or publication.