1948 Olds Hydramatic Removal

57j2olds

Hello,

I'm in the process of removing my trans from the 48.

The shop manual says to remove the floor pan. There are about 10 (well rusted) screws under the carpet. 

Is this so I can reach the last 1 or 2 bell housing bolts?

Curious if anyone has removed a trans like this. 

Thanks 

Lee 

A 3' long extension with a flex socket will reach the top bolts. Does the car have a removable trans crossmember? If so lowering the trans will help.

Make sure that you remove the distributor cap if it is near the fire wall.

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 7:47 AM, Roger Walling said:

A 3' long extension with a flex socket will reach the top bolts. Does the car have a removable trans crossmember? If so lowering the trans will help.

Make sure that you remove the distributor cap if it is near the fire wall.

a 1948 Oldsmobile engine, big six or straight eight, would not have a distributor cap close to the firewall, there was no Rocket V8 in 1948 models.

• Like 1

When I removed the Turbo 400 from my XJS I couldn't even see the top bolts from the engine compartment. I had to use a 3-4 ft. extension from underneath. From that position I could see the bolt heads well enough to get the socket on them. When replacing the transmission I taped the bolts in the proper holes before lifting the unit back in place. It worked but not much fun lying on my back in the garage. 

• Like 1

It'll be easier if you can get the floor panel out. I think there are threaded bolt holes on top to push the transmission off the aligning pins.   Those are a bit of a bear with the 32 or so bolts you have to remove from the torus cover. been there, done that. long time ago. 

• Like 1