Head Gaskets

ritchieb

I notice while changing my head gaskets on my V-12 Lincoln, the new gaskets had totally different water jacket openings. The new gaskets did not match the water jacket opens on the heads or block. The old gaskets were copper and the new ones were composite material. I searched all over and from my observations, i noticed that "all" the new gaskets were the same. Has anyone noticed this? I believe that this is the partial cause of overheating on the V-12. Maybe I should contact the gasket makers and get them on-board. 

Also consider the reproduction heads may be different from stock. You need to post which V-12 Lincoln engine……as there are multiple options. You may have the wrong gaskets for your car. 

Contact H&H Motor rebuilders in California.  They rebuild all sorts of engines and probably stock the correct gaskets.  A photo of your block without the heads would also help in identifying the gasket.  The hole pattern on the blocks should be the determining factor in the correct ones.  If you have some different heads that could be a problem.  Water ports are important for proper cooling and you don't want any water in your crankcase with improper gaskets!  Otherwise you will need to get some samples from suppliers or send them one of your old ones to match up!  

• 1 month later...

I eventually found the proper set of copper head gaskets NOS. Not cheap. Seems that the gasket manufactures don't have a clue as to the V12 head design. Refer to "The Way of the Zepher" Dec 2000 and Jan 2001 issues. This author hits on the exact subject. After the install of the new gaskets, all signs of overheating disappeared. The gaskets matched perfectly the opening on the head and block. Olsens and the rest should get on-board. They could sell those with V12s the proper gaskets. I tried contacting them myself but they never returned my calls.