For Sale: 1925 Renault Model NN Touring - $19,999 - Manitowoc, WI - Not Mine

For Sale: 1925 Renault Model NN Touring - $19,999 - Manitowoc, WI

1925 Renault Model NN - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

For sale. 1925 Renault model NN. Torpedo body, original condition. Mechanically correct, with new brake linings, newer tubes and tires, runs excellent. This is a very tidy, running, driving, cruise ready 100 year old European automobile. $19,999 or best offer
Copy and paste in your email: 72b4e9fa38b63c6bab0befb9eec43590@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1925 Renault Model NN Touring.

'25 Renault WI a.jpg

'25 Renault WI b.jpg

'25 Renault WI c.jpg

'25 Renault WI d.jpg

'25 Renault WI e.jpg

• Like 2

Soo French! It's rarely remembered that in the period between the end of WWI and the mid thirties, the French held the position in the automotive landscape held by the Italians in the 50's and 60's. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

For Sale: 1925 Renault Model NN Touring - $19,999 - Manitowoc, WI

Interesting find, Steve!  How on earth did you come across

a 1925 Renault on Craig's List?  Surely you weren't searching

for that marque.  Were you doing a broad search of 1920's cars?

What search engine were you using?

I know nothing about Renaults of this era--what price market

they were in, whether they were good cars, etc.  Were many,

or any, originally imported into the United States?  Does anyone

know?

These little Renaults were about halfway between a model T Ford and a European cyclecar. For those not familiar with them, cyclecars remained popular in Europe due to the vehicle tax structuring that punished horsepower. Cyclecars mostly used motorcycle engines, on three or four wheels somewhere between a motorcycle wheel and a bicycle wheel. Their bodies were simple and lightweight, usually carrying one or two people. Although a few could carry three or four. 

However, Renault built cars in nearly all market positions. A good longtime friend had a 1925 Renault open front town car/limousine for many years! Short of a Bugatti Royale, one of the largest automobiles ever produced for the top end market!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Interesting find, Steve!  How on earth did you come across

a 1925 Renault on Craig's List?  Surely you weren't searching

for that marque.  Were you doing a broad search of 1920's cars?

What search engine were you using?

I know nothing about Renaults of this era--what price market

they were in, whether they were good cars, etc.  Were many,

or any, originally imported into the United States?  Does anyone

know?

John:

A '20's Renault in Wisconsin? Talk about a fish out of water!

I just click the city or town, then Cars & Trucks, set the year search range for 1900 to 1978, then dismiss the dealers (they can promote their own cars), then page down scanning for what looks unusual and/or reasonably priced.  Once I find a potentially interesting ad, click to open it and if the car is not rodded or a total mess, add it to a favorite links file for the current month.   After the posting list specific to that CL location, it also lists those in adjacent CL cities.  One can cover a lot of territory very shortly.  In the small window where the city is shown, clicking the down arrow opens the list of nearby CL city listings.  Just select one down the list that reasonably overlaps the region.   If not geography adept, keep a road atlas for states handy.

Then later, I open that favorite file named "CL Picking - Month/year, reopen the specific ad, copy the photos to a file for the month, crop and resize the worthwhile views (the general public is terrible when it comes to photographing cars), Click the "Start a New Topic", I have a Word file for the repeated text basics: "For Sale - Not Mine", "Seller's Description", "Contact", "Copy and Paste Email" and personal disinterest disclaimer.  Copy and paste the seller posted information, add the photos and launch it. 

Sounds involved but once it's organized, it's very easy...plus I get to think about and comment on cars of interest. 

Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I just click the city or town, then Cars & Trucks, set the year search range for 1900 to 1978, then dismiss the dealers...

What search site do you use to cover Craig's List--

just Craig's List itself?

I know to use www.autotempest.com to search

Craig's List ads nationwide.  That's the only one I know.

P. S.  Interesting cars go past 1978!  Some Cadillacs throughout

the 1980's (Fleetwoods) are desirable, nice Buick Rivieras

go at least up to 1985, Lincoln Mark VI's go up to 1983,

and so on!  I myself have 4 cars from the 1980's.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

The main Renault selling agent in the USA was based in New York City as transportation from France to the USA was by ocean liner. Just about all of the imported Renaults were of the larger capacity horsepower and 6 cylinder. The cost to get a car here when new was not cheap and thus only the larger HP cars were imported.  If they headed west or north or south upon arrival it was by train . All of this in the pre 1934 era, very few cars arriving here in the 1914-1918 era due to the war in Europe.  The Nervastella and Reinastella models in the 1920s were the larger capacity and absolutely huge cars. Few survive on either side of the pond . I have a fairly extensive collection of sales material on the larger models as well as an instruction book for the Reinastella. It is like a dictionary!

this is a photo taken in 1937 in Maine of one of the larger series cars that dates from the 1929 to 1932 era. Marchal headlamps are fitted they were of French manufacture and fitted to the car before it came to the USA.

RENAULTmaine1937001.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

John:

A '20's Renault in Wisconsin? Talk about a fish out of water!

I just click the city or town, then Cars & Trucks, set the year search range for 1900 to 1978, then dismiss the dealers (they can promote their own cars), then page down scanning for what looks unusual and/or reasonably priced.  Once I find a potentially interesting ad, click to open it and if the car is not rodded or a total mess, add it to a favorite links file for the current month.   After the posting list specific to that CL location, it also lists those in adjacent CL cities.  One can cover a lot of territory very shortly.  In the small window where the city is shown, clicking the down arrow opens the list of nearby CL city listings.  Just select one down the list that reasonably overlaps the region.   If not geography adept, keep a road atlas for states handy.

Then later, I open that favorite file named "CL Picking - Month/year, reopen the specific ad, copy the photos to a file for the month, crop and resize the worthwhile views (the general public is terrible when it comes to photographing cars), Click the "Start a New Topic", I have a Word file for the repeated text basics: "For Sale - Not Mine", "Seller's Description", "Contact", "Copy and Paste Email" and personal disinterest disclaimer.  Copy and paste the seller posted information, add the photos and launch it. 

Sounds involved but once it's organized, it's very easy...plus I get to think about and comment on cars of interest. 

Steve

I do the same but generally stop at year 1951...most cars beyond that date are not of interest to me. The sad part is that hot rods and otherwise molested cars out number the ones we here are interested in by about 10 to 1. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

What search site do you use to cover Craig's List--

just Craig's List itself?

I know to use www.autotempest.com to search

Craig's List ads nationwide.  That's the only one I know.

P. S.  Interesting cars go past 1978!  Some Cadillacs throughout

the 1980's (Fleetwoods) are desirable, nice Buick Rivieras

go at least up to 1985, Lincoln Mark VI's go up to 1983,

and so on!  I myself have 4 cars from the 1980's.

John:

Just Craigslist itself with the method I described.  It's probably not the most efficient, maybe a bit clunky but it seems to work for me.  I tried the autotempest site at one time but the older software I had did not handle it well.  There is another one that searches all of Craigslist all at once which I should try.

On your recommendation, I will widen the span of years searched to include 1980's cars which are now becoming an area of collector interests as well as present opportunities to folks to enter the hobby at reasonable cost.

Steve

• Thanks 1