DURANT, A GOOD CAR

Some time ago my long-time buddy was given a Durant Sign from His brother and sister-in-law. Knowing that they had another, I had offered to buy the one they had left. A year or so had passed and this sign shows up at his garage as a gift for me. They said that they knew I was into old cars and that I would appreciate it.  Right now, I have it hanging in our bar room/dining room, and I love it. My wife just rolls her eyes!

durant...jpg.8afe23fab9763c85f78b924200977c46.jpg

28 X 42 double sided porcelain

• Like 1

The Chenango sign is painted tin/steel , the Blue Book sign is porcelain steel. The Blue book sign for decades was in a repair garage in Westchester or Putnam County and a friend named Guy Roese pulled into the place and saw the sign laying on the ground in one of the repair bays - fellow who owned the station said they had it there forever to catch the drips of oil off cars so the oil wouldn't stain the concrete floor underneath. Guy bought it and years later I bought it from him . The oil dripping on the sign helped preserve it !

Guy was my introduction to pre war classic cars , got me interested in coach builders in general conversations and now here I am today nearly 60 years later still interested in that subject, or should I say "obsessed " with that subject.

I will post size when I can get to the signs to measure them

CHENENGOsign.jpg

1924BLUEBOOKSIGN.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 7

One of my favorites.  Retrieved from the inside of a bathroom door of an old auto parts store near Edinburgh, Scotland. Lithographed tin. Rather poor photo.  It's a lot nicer in good light without the glare. 

Terry

20180420_201330.jpg

• Like 7

Here are three of my more favorite/ interesting ones. 

The Caddy sign I haven't been able to find another of.  It's only like 16 inches by 2 foot or something like that.  Also has a bunch of grommets for hanging it up.  Also has all the colors scribed in the back before they fired it.  Maybe a promo piece or sample?  Found it in a dumpster/ storage body at a junkyard they were closing down.  I'm sure it would have gotten processed if I hadn't grabbed it as the dumpster was just full of junky metal and this was kind of tucked between some other scrap. 

The Coke sign I bought off my 6th grade school teacher a couple of years ago.  Probably almost 35 years after I was in his class.  Came from my hometown,  though it was put away a long time before I came along.  

The Ford sign / letters Came from a dealer here in town.  I got them from a salesman that brought them home.  They are NOS and were never hung.  I'm guessing 1960's. 

I have some other cool signs with stories.   Maybe I'll dig some more photos up. 

IMG_4724.thumb.JPG.69d7759e044ba58a6d49a90b00f80e8c.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG

IMG_1913.JPG

• Like 3

This was rolled up into a ball when I found it in an orchard. I straightened it as best I could and found a perfect spot for it....

IMG_2931.JPG

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Alex D. said:

Took this photo on the campus of the University of Tennessee. The gasoline is not the only thing that contains lead.

2091999625_containslead2(Medium).JPG.108d68b874e0ccae2227987179e6ebcc.JPG

Yep...that truck definitely contains lead!

8 hours ago, TerryB said:

Sign with temperature measurement device built-in 😀

D4A916BB-B87E-4ABC-AED9-BCCD92F11F54.jpeg

That's one of the nicest I've seen.

• Like 1