For Sale: 1962 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan, 60K miles - $30,000 Virginia Beach, VA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1962 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan, 60K miles - $30,000 Virginia Beach, VA

62 Lincoln Continental - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

1962 Lincoln continental 60,000 miles looking to sell for 30k. I don’t have the time to do what she deserves. I bought it 3 years ago from what I have it was purchased in Georgia; I am the 3rd owner. The person I purchased it from had it repainted, all windows and radio work, just replaced radiator, water pump, fuel pump, full tune up, oil change, new starter, and new starter solenoid. Car did not come equipped with AC. Interior is in good condition. Does need steering box rebuilt. Serious inquiries only.

Copy and paste in your email: a680412c9eb13d42aa98ca37ed566d64@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1962 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan.

'62 Lincoln Continental VA a.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental VA b.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental VA c.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental VA d.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental VA e.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental VA f.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental VA g.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental VA h.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental VA i.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental VA j.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental VA k.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental VA l.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental VA m.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental VA n.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental VA o.jpg

• Like 2

Hmm.  I follow these a bit but am by no means an expert.  Seems a bit on the high side.  If I get one of these I would like to find a '61 - '63 sedan pretty much ready to enjoy.  But the price, needs, potential rust and no AC on this one would take it out of the running.

I will say this design seems to look good in lighter and darker colors.  

• Like 1

Steve:

With these 1960's Lincolns, one finds them only one of two ways: either like this car in reasonably good condition or a totally rusted, ruined mess...both cases they're vastly overpriced!   Especially the convertibles!   In spite of the fact that they produced less than half or a third as many Imperials in any comparable model year, now they're easier to find not only in good condition but for far more reasonable prices.  As much as I like these "JFK-Era" Lincolns, I'd have to go for an Imperial in good condition available in the $6K-$10K range.  

Steve

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

...Seems a bit on the high side.  If I get one of these I would like to find a '61 - '63 sedan pretty much ready to enjoy.

Excellent sedans are much scarcer than people realize.

And so often they seem to be in white or black.

I wrote an article once on collectors' preferences turning

once-common cars into rarities, and once-rare cars into

common sights.  For the Lincolns of this era, sedans 

originally outnumbered convertibles 10 to 1.  Now it's the

opposite.  At the time of the article, Hemmings' website

had 36 convertibles for sale, and only 10 sedans.  None of

those available sedans were excellent.

If the original ratio had held up, those 10 sedans would be

accompanied by only ONE convertible, not 36!  So there

has been a HUGE distortion of the original population.

• Thanks 2

My Dad had a powder blue '63 sedan back in the early '70's when I was in high school. Got to drive it quite a bit. I was impressed by the quality of the interior, the clean design, relatively compact size, and the 430 V8. I had my learner's permit and my Dad let me drive it home from Disneyland to the Bay Area. Always loved driving the car. I hope that was just peeling under coating!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I wrote an article once on collectors' preferences turning

once-common cars into rarities, and once-rare cars into

common sights.  For the Lincolns of this era, sedans 

originally outnumbered convertibles 10 to 1.  Now it's the

opposite.  At the time of the article, Hemmings' website

had 36 convertibles for sale, and only 10 sedans.  None of

those available sedans were excellent.

If the original ratio had held up, those 10 sedans would be

accompanied by only ONE convertible, not 36!  So there

has been a HUGE distortion of the original population.

John:

I was far more into those 1961-'69 Lincolns back in the 1970's-1990's and what you wrote about the reversing of the survival rate of sedans versus convertibles I watch play out in real time.  If two Lincolns arrived at the salvage yard in about the same condition, someone would buy the convertible while the sedan was picked for parts before it was scrapped.  Even sedans that were reasonably good but were high mileage or had mechanical issues went to the junk while rust-bucket convertibles were set aside.   During the inflation-beset 1970's, when collectors were picking up convertibles, Edsels and Corvairs as hedges against inflation, even the rattiest, rustiest, worst Lincoln convertible were escaping the junkyards while better sedan were giving up their usable parts before the crusher.  Sadly enough, even lower-mileage, well-cared-for sedans that had been owned by older affluent owners were still being run into the ground for regular transportation.  At least here in the Northeast, while many aspects of those Lincolns were better than other FoMoCo cars, their rustproofing was no better than a Falcon and heavily-road-salted winter roads claimed them by the hundreds.

Steve

• Like 3

Great info guys.  I was familiar with these in the 70s as well as a friend's dad started collecting them when they were less than 15 years old.  Nice 65 sedan, $400, could have had 4 for my the cost of my 71 Camaro in 79... 

Still too many questions on this one for me.  Continuing to learn about these though from a couple forum folks! 👍😊

22 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

1961-'69 Lincolns... Sadly enough, even lower-mileage, well-cared-for sedans that had been owned by older affluent owners were still being run into the ground for regular transportation....

I see that mentality today, even by dedicated collectors

here on the forum:  Many cars that really are rare are

still unappreciated.  There was a 1983 Buick Regal sedan

in the "Not Mine" category, and a couple of people said

it would make a good regular driver!

There are probably 200 Regals of Grand National type

for every Regal sedan;  yet no one realizes it yet and soon

most will be gone.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)