1936 Dodge D2 Sedan Dash Knobs

Cratchet

You might try one of the steering wheel restoration shops. Years ago, I  had D & D Automobilia make new knobs for mine; it was quite a task but they came out very nice, though not cheap. That company has had a new owner for a while but they still may have the moulds. The switch knobs were cast with the shafts in place and the window crank knobs had threaded inserts cast in them. Quite a job with the insert letters and outer rings. here's a few pics of the new parts. A ll the rechroming of the letters and rings had to be done prior to making the moulds. The knobs were cast with the rings already in place in the moulds. Finding a really nice matching set will be next to impossible!

knobs 3.jpg

knobs 4.jpg

knobs 5.jpg

IMG_20190514_105901.jpg

Edited by jpage (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you for the photos. The knobs look awesome. I looked up D @ D and look like they are still in business. When I restored the Dodge I did everything myself except for the paint job,replating or polishing the exterior parts and the interior; headliner,seats etc. Everything came out like the original except for the dash knobs and door handle knobs. The dash knobs were replaced with knobs which are quite similar without the rings and letters. There is one knob that I assume is a throttle knob but isn't marked and has only a metal pull knob. I use it to keep the idle up a bit while warming up the car. I did manage to find one letter and ring. I'll have to search in my left over parts they gave me if there are more.

Here are the pic of three different 1936 Dodge Cars. The Throttle knob is clearly marked with a large silver T.  I need enough knobs for 4 vehicles. If you can find a person to reproduce them, I would consider adding to the oder. A larger quantity should make the cost drop. I believe Jpage's head light knob is broken. In the middle of the L should be a Red Garnet it is gone. there is a little tunnel in the stem that allows light from in the switch housing to travel up to the garnet. That is the high beam indicator. The last pic is of a 1936 Dodge Head Light switch showing the High Beam Light. The other is the Head Light Knob it is broken. It is a poor pic but on the switch end are two tips missing is the bent part that hooks it to the switch arm. With out a new Knob assembly I have not spent much time on how to get a broken Knob attached to the switch.

DSCF0719.JPG

DSCF0713.JPG

DSCF0714.JPG

DSCF0721.JPG

DSCF0720.JPG

The knob on the left in the photo is the headlamp knob, as you can clearly see the indicator light.  It is not red but clear. The knob on the right is the dash light knob. The photo with the large amber "eye" is the cigar lighter knob. Originally, it had a red jewel, but I needed to find a good part to make the mould with and the part I found had the amber jewel. You don't see many of these lying around!  My original was shot, so I used the jewel from the good knob to make the new knob. I believe the knob I used for the new casting was from either a DeSoto or Chrysler. Here's a better shot of the top of the lighter knob. The color of the indicator was not a real issue with me. All the knobs were moulded from good original parts.

IMG_20190514_105932.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am looking for replacements knobs for all the dash controls, including the radio controls and lighter for my '36 Dodge D2 sedan.  I also need to find a few of the smallest hood side trim clips, See pictures.  Please advise of any known sources.

Greg Gladden

gladden@airmail.net

713 443 6633

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

In my quest for rare and specific car parts, especially for vintage models, I've stumbled upon several auctions that were surprisingly well-stocked. I later realized that many of these auctions were using AuctionStreaming's tools, which seemed to facilitate a more organized and accessible inventory. Their platform apparently helps auctions better showcase what they have, making it easier for us buyers to find those rare gems. It's quite a relief to navigate an auction that's both efficient and rich in variety. So, for anyone in a similar search, it might be worth seeking out auctions that employ these tools for a more fruitful hunt. You can see more here: https://auctionstreaming.com/dodge-for-sale

D and D Automobilia ia still in business. Dave Bowen is the owner and the number I have is 704-650-4632. He may still have the original molds from my car but you'd have to supply the replated parts and the shafts. Here's a few pics. I used an off the shelf cable and threaded the end to fit a threaded sleeve cast into the knob. The original cable end was recrimped onto the new cable outer cover. The rod end had to be grooved to fit the original end which has guide pins  that slide in the grooves to prevent the cable from spinning. A bit of work but it works!

rod 2.jpg

rod.jpg

cable.jpg

Edited by jpage (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I believe he does Jim.  Im talking to him right now an re-creating some for my P2 and he mentioned the Dodge molds.  Price is reasonable for a few knobs, but it gets pricey if you need an entire set.  I need to window knobs, a heater knob abd a choke knob if I can figure the darn thing out.  Might have him make a matching shifter as well.  My origional is gone and they were pretty bland anyway.