source for whitewalls

Drakeule

Details my friend.    Bias Ply,  Radial ,  size etc.    What car are you putting them on ?   On my 3846-s coupe,  I put "Diamond Back" radials with whitewalls.   Looked like original tires.  Great tires with quality construction.   I drive my Buicks and traveling on interstates -  mean trips of over 100 miles is regular drives for me.   I have to have excellent tires.   Flats are not authorized - - -     Check with them as to available.   I got mine in about a week or 10 days.     Pricing was around $270 each.  (around 3 years ago.)       On my 35-58  (2 door sedan Vicky) I found some wire wheels  (option on my 50 series )stock and then chose to go with black wall 'Firestone'  radials.    They had white wall radials in stock but I chose to go this way with chrome rings.     My 35-58 has 5-1/2" bolt center wheels and 16" tires.   Weird sizes in '35'.    So I  went with BW tires.    My wheels are a cream yellow and I bought it with WW tires but I did not like the WW tire next to the wheel color.   (Gray scale was to close - for those who are photographic inclined ).    I saw a very beautiful 1934 sedan with fender mounted spares and separate trunk in back.  Car was a dark Blue with wide white wall tires and wire wheels color - very light - maybe a yellow.    But I personally did not like the  wheel and tires almost the same color.   Just a personal choice but I like my tires and wheels to be  a better contrast between them.    Your driving will make your choice.   I put around 2000 miles a year versus those who drive local and put less than 500 miles or so a year.     Here is my 35-58 with original WW tires with original wheel colors.   JMHO   

image.png.8e4048c1086980ce687d545364f70e5e.png

Cooker and Lester are OK suppliers.   I personally have had warrantee  issues with Coker.   Unless you are going to 'show' your  car,  putting 'non-standard' tires on your car will give you a safer and smoother ride.      ' 'Auburn' from Diamond Back is the series is I bought.   I think that there were several WW widths available to get what you want.   I got within 1/2" of original WW width.    On todays roads,  bias. belt tires will 'wander' trying to run in the tire grooves worn in our modern roads.   Concrete is hardest and blacktop the softest.  Then there is the issue on 'tubes'.     `When was the last time  you had a flat' with your modern radials.    Of course,  your rims need to be smooth and not rust coated so they don't leak.   JMHO.... I'm a new guy to the pre-war Buicks.   I started in 2014 so my experiences are 'new'.     My last long trip was over 1800+  round  trip.     Trouble free just like Buick says.   A great car.......   Take care and it will take you safely back home.   

BTW,  I won't buy or use chinese tires.    You get what you pay for.    Tires are extremely important safety wise.   Korea makes good tires,  Europe makes excellent and safe tires - no cheapie's for low cost.       BTW,   I've been driving since 1959 so my history has been filled over most of the United States.   

I am considering Diamondback radials for my 38 Buick and wonder if when the car is stored for the winter should the car be put on jack stands to prevent flat spots in the tires. I ask because the Lester bias plys I have now do not exhibit flat spots when sitting for long periods and wonder if radials are more sensitive to flatspotting. Modern radials on my daily drivers never sit for long enough to develop flat spots.

Thanks,

Steve D

Radial tires on pre war cars are not a good idea…..covered here a bunch of times. Safety and suspension design are the short reasons why. Cars were driven billions of miles with bias ply tires……..

I've never let my '38'  remain dormant over a week or two.    BUT,  with the virus crap,  I let it remain for about 6 months with out running.    I always use a trickle charger and after  + 6 months,  I cranked it up and went on a short trip.   Tires ran like new - no bumps.    Radial construction precludes flat spots.   The only reason for jack stands would be to let you turn the wheels to minimize  bearings being squeezed of grease and (only) having a spot on the bearing with minimized grease.     Now that is stretching a point and I would never do it.     I have a 4 x 8 trailer that is stored outside and I store  the wheels on jack stands so I can  - on occasion - come by and nudged  (rotate) the wheel a bit  and weed eat under the trailer.   Ya, , I'm weird I guess.   Trailer may be used once or twice a year - maybe.    

Bias ply will certainly get flat spots if left for long periods of time………but the work out quickly, especially when it’s warm out. Our V-16 will get flat spots in less than a month…….as do most of the 3 ton cars. Usually half a block and they work themselves round again. For long periods of storage jack stands are a must………after five years of sitting it may be difficult to get the tire round again. 

Blocks over the winter are a good idea no matter what the tires are. You would probably damage a tire if one went flat. They aren't inexpensive. That said, my radials sat on the ground over the last 2 winters, 3 months each, with no issues.

Incidentally, I called Diamondback and got the skinny about my Auburn deluxe radial delivery problems: it seems that there was a delivery from Thailand that was expected in late July (i.e., now)that "slipped" because of (wait for it...) Covid! Now, it's projected Sept/Oct. This filled in the gaps and confirmed what my dealer had said. So, it's nice to get the details, even if they are not what you want to hear.

Hyde even said they will put me on a list and call me when they come in. Very nice guys down there in the Palmetto state, they take time to explain what is going on.

Also talked to Rick at Universal Vintage tires (in Hershey PA, but warehoused in Chattanooga,TN.) Also very nice, but no whitewalls in stock either (even bias ply.)

P.S. Man, did I start a lively discussion with this thread.....LMAO!

CD