My 1972 Skylark Custom convertible

Ed Luddy

Just bought this a few months ago. Has a 455 instead of original 350. A bit of a trip to get it home. I sold my 1969 GS 400 convertible a few years back due to rust. Thought this was in much better shape....., barely! My brother went to inspect it for me, but it was in a dark shed on an island. 

Runs nice, new interior, rebuilt 455, but has bondo in the doors and lower front fenders.

Back to the drawing board! I'm not going to get into a restoration so I'm going to drive it a bit for the summer and then start to hunt for a more original car and sell this.

canday22 203.jpg

canday22 211.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Still, it's a nice looking convertible.  If you detail it and fix any minor issues you shouldn't have any trouble finding a buyer.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, EmTee said:

Still, it's a nice looking convertible.  If you detail it and fix any minor issues you shouldn't have any trouble finding a buyer.

Thanks! It is a good looker, just not as good as I expected for the money. Runs excellent, the non original 455 is very responsive.

I sold my 1970 Chevelle to buy this so I could have a summer cruiser. It ticks all the right boxes, but will need body work. I'm not able to spend a pile of money and time on it.

Like I said, I'd drive it and fix any easy 'bugs' to make it a solid driver.  Polish it up so it looks as good as possible without spending a lot of money.  At that point your feelings toward the car may be different.  Either way, if you still choose to pass it on, you'll have no problem finding a buyer at a price that you can accept.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 10:56 AM, MRJBUICK said:

I don't know how familiar you are with this model but the door panels are different on the vert to the coupe as there is no woodgrain on the vert, always found that unusual 

Did not know that detail. Thanks. Maybe because they knew the convertible would likely get wet and the "peel n' stick woodgrain wouldn't stand up?

Or maybe they were running short of material?    

These are the door panels on my 72. They are replacement units. Look fine to me. Not much  woodgrain in this car at all. Steering wheel and a bit of dash that may be original? Not sure. Don't care, it's a driver level car, nothing more. 

canday22 201.jpg

canday22 200.jpg

On 8/11/2022 at 10:06 PM, Ed Luddy said:

These are the door panels on my 72. They are replacement units. Look fine to me. Not much  woodgrain in this car at all. Steering wheel and a bit of dash that may be original? Not sure. Don't care, it's a driver level car, nothing more. 

canday22 201.jpg

canday22 200.jpg

Ed yes those are the correct door panels for the vert, if it was a coupe there would be a wide panel of woodgrain in the center of the panel front to back. it looks like a nice driver and will probably be alot of fun.