E/H Series Brake Bands

NZ Buick

Has anybody got some dimensions of the inner and outer brake bands I need for my 1919 Tourer project? Or has anyone had new ones made? I only have remnants of seriously rusted ones left and cannot get accurate measurements from them to attempt to make new ones. Perhaps someone has some spares they may be willing to part with???

I have outers, Inner is a shoe so more difficult, also more likely to be missing.  Band is 33  (83.8cm) inches pin to pin, 1 3/4  (44.5 mm) inches wide. Actual band is 31 1/2 long without ends. 

You will need lining no thicker than 3/16  (4.5 mm). lining can be 2inches wide.  Same lining for hand brake but may have to grind edges a little.

I have a set of bands I would sell if you want to pay shipping halfway around the planet.  This is from D series but should be same as E.

brake bands 33 x 1.75.jpg

17 hours ago, Oldtech said:

I have outers, Inner is a shoe so more difficult, also more likely to be missing.  Band is 33  (83.8cm) inches pin to pin, 1 3/4  (44.5 mm) inches wide. Actual band is 31 1/2 long without ends. 

You will need lining no thicker than 3/16  (4.5 mm). lining can be 2inches wide.  Same lining for hand brake but may have to grind edges a little.

I have a set of bands I would sell if you want to pay shipping halfway around the planet.  This is from D series but should be same as E.

brake bands 33 x 1.75.jpg

Those measurements are exactly what I’m after. From what I can tell of the pieces I have left mine don’t have rolled ends for pins like yours but rather have a riveted on pad with saddles attached for the pins and adjuster to mount to. I’ll try to add a photo to explain. Is there any way you could measure the thickness of the steel the bands are made of for me? I think I will have a go at rolling some new ones.

EEB93694-78CE-44C8-98C1-F2FA7A0100AE.jpeg

Hmmm. That is a different mechanism than the D/E I'm familiar with. Internal looks the same but mine doesn't have the spring business.  so the length may be suspect.

The band thickness is 2 mm. I think maybe you need a parts axle. 🤔

On 7/28/2022 at 6:45 AM, Oldtech said:

Hmmm. That is a different mechanism than the D/E I'm familiar with. Internal looks the same but mine doesn't have the spring business.  so the length may be suspect.

The band thickness is 2 mm. I think maybe you need a parts axle. 🤔

Unfortunately this is one of two parts axles that are both in a very very sad state. Fortunately I have enough of all the hardware between them to piece together what I need it just seems the bands themselves have practically vanished one still has a lining around the drum attached to nothing at all!

On 7/30/2022 at 5:45 AM, Oldtech said:

What Model is it ? looks later than D or E.  Many similarities, though the center section is different. or is it 6 cylinder?

From everything I can make sense of with the parts I have collected they’re all E/H 6 cylinder rear axles. I’ve ended up with three of them by now and only have just enough parts to piece one complete one together. The brake bands and the long torsion rods that go under the rear from side to side and forward to the front of the torque tube seem to have suffered the most.

• 1 month later...