Motor oil change 1936 Dodge D2 Sedan

Cratchet

I have a 1936 Dodge D2 Sedan which my late wife and I finished doing a ground up restoration in 2006. We drove it around occasionally until she passed away 2 years later. Since then it has been parked in my garage and ever so often when my children  come to visit we take it for a little spin. I was thinking of changing the oil and filter before my brother comes to visit since it has been sitting so long but I can't recall if I used a 30wt non detergent or detergent motor oil. It does have a oil filter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Cratchet
left and I in reference to restoration (see edit history)

On 7/25/2022 at 3:10 PM, Uptowndodge said:

30wt detergent

Thank you. I'm trying to determine how many quarts to use. Somewhere I saw 5 quarts but can't seem to find it in my manual. Anyway, I added approximately a quart to the filter with the new filter in and 4 quarts to crankcase. I checked it this morning after running it yesterday for leaks and it shows a quart low. I know that adding to much oil can cause it to foam which is not good for lubricating the main bearings.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, frankngin said:

that is because it is a 6Quart Engine

My '33 Plymouth, basically the same engine, specifies 5 quarts.

On the 1934 and up engines there is a low pressure shut off on the return from the oil filter to the sump. If that valve is in good shape then it is possible that the approximately 1 quart of oil in the filter will not drain back to the crankcase when the engine is off.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...