Looking For Information On Big Pre-16 Oaklands (1913 and 1914 6-60, 1914 6-48, and 1915 6-49)

32Pontiac6

I would like to accumulate information on the biggest Oakland produced, the 6-60.  These were made in 1913 and 1914 and are on a 130” chassis and had a 6 cyl engine.  They were made in a 2 person raceabout as well as 4,5, and 7 person touring.  The reference material I have says that there was actually a 6-61 and 6-62 made in 1914  and that there was also a 6-60 roadster made (Standard Catalog  of  Pontiac 2nd Edition by John Gunnell).

I know of only one surviving car that that is owned by an AACA member, Ross Walkup in  Florida.  Ross is trying to find out  history of his car.  He said that Daniel W. Welsh of Riverview, FL owned the car in the 1960’s and is trying to find any information from him, friends or family members.

I am aware of the modified Model 6-60 that was driven by Frank Fithen who lost his arms in an accident as a child.  He drove this car across the US and there are quite a few newspaper articles about his travels.

I am also looking for information on the second largest Oaklands, the 1914 6-48 Light Six and the 1915 6-49 Light Six.   These were on 123-1/2” chassis.  I do know of two of these that exist.  I have also not been able to find any literature on the 1914 6-48.  Maybe somebody has something they can share.

My ask to the group is:

-Does anybody know of any additional 6-60, 61, 62’s out there?

-Can anybody help Ross with identifying ownership of his car?

-Does anybody have any information on the second largest car the 1914 6-48 Light Six and the 1915 6-49 Light Six.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Rob Guzzetta

20200113_144007.jpg

IMG_5391.jpg

• Like 5

On 8/1/2022 at 7:54 PM, Chris Paulsen said:

Have you and Ross seen this?

From the September 30, 1961 Windsor (Ontario) Star newspaper.

1913 Oakland - The_Windsor_Star_Sat__Sep_30__1961_.jpg

That is great!  Thanks Chris!  I will make sure Ross sees this.  His car was white at one time.  I wonder if this is his car?

I have live in the small village of Charing Cross, just south of Chatham, On for thirty years and I do not know of any Ballantine family.  Many of the homes along highway 98,, now called Middle line, have been there since the 1960's.  The location described as half mile west of Charing Cross is now a mushroom growing facility on the north side of the highway and a pasture on the south.  The garage in the background in the photo seems familiar, I wonder if I can find it? All the Oldtimers have passed away but I'll ask around to find the Donald Ballantine's farm next week.

Many years ago Mrs. Adkins had a column in the local weekly paper and it was always social events such as this article.

Regards, Gary

Thank you Gary I have been trying for many years to find  early info on this car and no one seems to know Mr Welsh or any of his family. The. car was written up in the Antique Automobile magazine in the 1960' s  when he lived in Riverview FL  but none of the old timers around the Tampa bay area  remember him I am sure he is dead by now and maybe his children also.The car is a southern wide track car so I am sure it didn't come from NY. In the 1950's and 60's most people didn't travel to far to get cars to restore so I have always assumed it was a FL car. The early FL registration list for the 1913-14 time period list about 5 Oakland's three of which were near Riverview but unfortunately Fl  registration did not require a engine or model number only the owner name and address make and body style so that has not been much help.I guess I will have to keep looking.

I have seen Ross's car, and its very special.......and HUGE!  was impressed with the quality of the chassis and coachwork. I can't wait till he gives me a ride in it. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, RossWalkup said:

Yes that is my car and I have never seen that article. This will be a great help in finding the living members of his family  so I can try to track down  the early  history  of the car thanks Chris. Where did you find this article?

I found it on Newspapers.com.

Chris

Rob did you notice that in the ad you posted under the picture of my car there is no battery box for the 6-24 volt battery and in the specs it listed it as having an air starter? I don't think they ever made any that way but  but I have seen other pre production adds like this.

On 8/5/2022 at 10:23 AM, edinmass said:

I have seen Ross's car, and its very special.......and HUGE!  was impressed with the quality of the chassis and coachwork. I can't wait till he gives me a ride in it. 

I have ridden ii it.    One day with 4 men in it we took a long ride.  It easily cruised at  48 MPH + with the guy in the front left seat using a cell       

phone to know the speed. We cliimbed about 1700 feet, then followed a creek on a dirt road into the woods.   We found the gate to the house

we were looking for and had to backup about 1/2 mile to find a place to turn that big car around.   Ross drives all his cars any place he wants

to go.   

I've seen him cross the mountains on forestry roads in his 1914 Model T.   I asked him if people were suprised to see hm in the woods in a 107

year old car?    His reply was , "No, there is nobpdy out there except an occaisional Ranger.  Sometines you have to stop and pull a tree off

the road"

That Oakland was tied with a 13 Model T for the oldest car I had ever ridden in until Ross came over in his 1909 Stanley.   Now i'm waiting for a

ride  in his latest restoration, a 1905 Queen.   He's helping another friend get his 1908 IH Auto Buggy driving and has offered a ride in it.   I was 

there, two months ago when we got it started.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2022 at 7:01 PM, RossWalkup said:

Rob did you notice that in the ad you posted under the picture of my car there is no battery box for the 6-24 volt battery and in the specs it listed it as having an air starter? I don't think they ever made any that way but  but I have seen other pre production adds like this.

Ross,

Yes I did.  It also does not have the tool box.

Rob

No luck tracking down the Ballantine farm outside of Charing Cross, the name is unknown in the community.  It is raining today, which is welcomed, later I will take a walk and try to recognize the garage in the background of the newspaper photo.  Happy to help though it seems as if it is a dead-end.

Regards, Gary