National junk food day ( Old car related)

Bhigdog

Today is National junk food day. Took the OLD Buick out for a drive today and stopped at a McDonalds drive through for a hot  apple pie. Pretty good for only $1.59. Then we drove around the back roads awhile in the OLD Buick but at 91 deg with out AC in the OLD Buick we called it a day. Now sitting in the shade with a cigar and a gin and tonic.... A true story.......Bob

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Well now, it's seems I mis-spoke. Thursday the 21st was National junk food. Not today. My bad. But it seems the God of old fools has saved my butt (again). Today is actually National drive through day. So, by driving the OLD Buick through a McDonalds I HAVE filled the proper square. Ain't it grand....Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I prefer the McD's apple pies of yore. I dont like the new recipe that is now probably 30 yrs old.

Hmmm. I thought the apple pie was excellent. Flakey crust and just the right sweetness albeit a bit light on the filling. My wife had the strawberry creme. I tasted it and give it a big thumbs down.

We would have taken the Vette with the top down but it either has a blown head gasket or cracked head. Using water like mad and blowing bubbles in the expansion tank. No water in the oil though.

Vettes are miserable b*****s to work on. Very cramped and you cannot take anything off without removing a few other things first. I thought I was going to have to pull the engine to get to the rear bottom head bolt but I was able to make a special wrench to get it. I got the head loose but I'll need the engine hoist to get it  up and out. Way too heavy for me. Hoping for a head gasket but resigned to a new head if necessary. Tons of them on Ebay but I'd like to find one I can inspect first.............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

but it either has a blown head gasket or cracked head. Using water like mad and blowing bubbles

My wife and I like going out to those little small town family diners. Not the run of the mill portion controlled stuff.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Sorry about the bad luck with the vette. Doesnt sound like any fun at all. Good Luck!

And I still stand with the old recipe pie was better, LOL.

I seem to remember they were more of a closed crust pie and with the first bite red hot filling would squirt out and burn the s**t out of your lips. But yes, they were good once your lips healed....😁.........Bob

• Like 1

Just now, 60FlatTop said:

My wife and I like going out to those little small town family diners. Not the run of the mill portion controlled stuff.

YO, That looks like my 427 head gasket................Bob

Hey Bob,

That sucks about the Vette, I found my motivation has been diminishing on those type of projects. My Biscayne needs a power steering pump and it has been sitting on the bench for about year now, and all I have done is move it out of my way and say "I'll get to this tomorrow."  I could just imagine the excuses I would come up with at this point in my life with a head gasket job.

First day I don't have to drive to a doctor's appointment will be my double vodka collin's day!

Good luck with the head gasket

3 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

YO, That looks like my 427 head gasket................Bob

Nah, it is for an Austin-Healy Sprite ---

or both of our old Citroen 2-CVs (cut along the dotted lines)

29 minutes ago, John348 said:

First day I don't have to drive to a doctor's appointment will be my double vodka collin's day!

And, You just described my schedule, one or two for me, but mostly for my wife's medical appointments -

but at least she's still around to occasionally judge, to noodge, and navigate and aggravate on tour-

It is almost 4 years since a bad 3-month diagnosis from one oncologist, and then finding the right surgeon,

now almost 4 years later, holding steady and achieving one family milestone at a time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, John348 said:

Hey Bob,

That sucks about the Vette, I found my motivation has been diminishing on those type of projects. My Biscayne needs a power steering pump and it has been sitting on the bench for about year now, and all I have done is move it out of my way and say "I'll get to this tomorrow."  I could just imagine the excuses I would come up with at this point in my life with a head gasket job.

Good luck with the head gasket

You know what, John, that's exactly how I feel. Back in the day I would have looked forward to the job. Today I used the excuse " it's Sunday a day of rest" and so: I went to the diner for a looong breakfast, came home and fed the dogs, read some on a book I bought, went for the above mentioned drive in the OLD Buick, came home and sat in the shade of a big ole oak tree and puffed on a cigar. Basicly did squat all day.

Tomorrow I face the reality of the tedious care and feeding of an old car. I'm getting too old for this shit...............Bob

• Like 1

My mother born in Aug 1929 croaked in 2018 after burying 2 husbands and lived after that ,on junk food ,cookies,ice cream and pizza,vodka tonics after 11am and a pack and half a day smokes since 1939.

No medications till the end. She lost it (brain wise)and was mean her last 2 weeks...

Not a bad run.

I do not favor fast food junk .

Ground up animal eye balls,guts and chicken feet and fat for a meal turns me off for some weired reason..?

Edited by Flivverking (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Flivverking said:

I do not favor fast food junk .

Ground up animal eye balls,guts and chicken feet and fat for a meal turns me off for some weired reason..?

My mother always put the feet, gizzard and heart in the chicken soup. The marrow from the ox tail soup bones was spread on bread as  was the marrow from bigger soup bones. The big bones were given to the kids to gnaw on the cartilage. We called it the chewing gum. Pigs feet were boiled until the flesh fell off the bones. The water and flesh was put in a shallow  pan and cooled until it gelled. Squares were cut out, salted and peppered and served with vinegar.

My dad had a pre war Chrysler. I remember it had running boards. Somewhere there's a picture of me sitting on the running board with my first girl friend, Cynthia.

That's what you did when you lived in the city in a third floor, walk up,  cold water flat. ..............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)