syncromesh transmission rebuild..

hi everyone.  my 53 has been on the road for awhile now.   I did have an issue with the transmission when the tail shaft bushing failed. I have all parts for a rebuild except the tool J-1334. this is the countershaft bearing loader... what i need is the length of this bar.... my local machinist can cut one for me but i need the dimensions....... unless there is someone local (york Harrisburg Hershey) that has one i can rent/borrow..... i will be going to the AACA open house and also the ETC reunion in September in Ephrata.....  any help would be greatly appreciated...... thanks, John 

• 3 weeks later...

Bill Sawrey "used kent-moore tool man" has what you need on e-bay, "tool*guy" has J-1334

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265597896516?hash=item3dd6de4744:g:VuoAAOSwH61cSYXa

Bob

EDIT: make sure you put "spring " in for clutch bearing support when reinstalling, see group # 0.803 it is listed as a washer, but is a concave spring,  that when transmission bolted in it flattens out to secure tightness clutch bearing support.

26F63023-DFE6-4F01-8BF1-6F187538AEBD.jpeg

D59CD141-85D8-4E17-B438-ABBFF55E1A29.jpeg

Edited by NailheadBob
update (see edit history)

The tool you are looking for is also used by Buick, I will post a photo from 1950 Kent-Moore tool catalog for tool # J-1334 countershaft needle bearing loader, @neil morse and @DonMicheletti may be able to assist you, as they both worked on Neil's 1941 Buick transmission, that may be similar to your pontiac transmission.

Bob

A67A9ABB-458B-42A4-8585-AF5385AFEAC7.jpeg

B626E046-4FD1-4B19-8116-13FD02FCD211.jpeg

Edited by NailheadBob
Add photo (see edit history)

Well that confirms what I suspected. It is just a shaft, and most likely gets pushed out by the actual shaft when the transmission is assembled.

As John mentioned in the original post, this would be relatively easy to duplicate if the dimensions were available. Does anyone have one of these they could measure?

• Like 1

Glad you got squared away.  When Don and I worked on my transmission, Don already had the dummy shaft (made from plastic).  I don't know whether he made it himself or got it from someone else.

• Thanks 1

I now have 3 transmissions.... 1 original.. needs disassembled and cleaned... tailcone bushing disintegrated..... 1 complete and in carcurrently... and 1 almost complete spare for future rebuild.... so I'm sure the tool I 1334 will be put to good use..... thanks guys 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DonMicheletti said:

I machined the dummy shaft. I made it a few thousanths smaller than the steel shaft and with tapered ends to assist with driving it out with the "real" shaft. Nothing fancy

Neal stated:     Don already had the dummy shaft (made from plastic).

Don, I love your idea of making the tool out of plastic, I never gave that a thought making it out of plastic, until you mentioned it.

Bob

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 4:07 PM, john hess said:

hi bloo, just found and ordered it... probably just as well.... machining 1 from my guy would take longer.... thinking I would like to have this completed for ETC September meet.

John could you please post the exact dimensions of the Kent-Moore tool # J-1334 countershaft needle bearing loader tool after you receive it, so another one could be made?

Thank You in Advance,

Bob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2022 at 11:30 AM, john hess said:

sorry for the delay.... dimensions for the bearing loader # J 1334 are 

7/8" x 6 29/32" ............. 

John this might interest you, and @Bloo also, when you start rebuilding your transmission, thanks to @DonMicheletti sharing his homemade transmission fixture and plastic bearing loader, I copied his idea and plan with his approval, and here it is.

I also thank you John for posting your dimensions for your bearing loader, I saved those dimensions for the future.

Here is a photo of my completed fixture, cost me $9.18, $4.50 for the scrap metal "Drop Zone" as it was called by Metal Supermarkets (National Chain) $3.39 @ Menards (sku # 6802377) for the bushing sku # 2015527 (fitting) and $ 1.29 @ Menards for the allen bolt, (using a 5/16" allen socket to attach to fixture).

Bob

Bob5B757615-EED7-4B28-A050-30EF7E582085.jpeg.1c6c3d965459589ecc15a56b77441d97.jpeg2C8988E6-B967-40E1-987E-2BC74F4A843B.jpeg.5b09c87efc33ef5ff848d7dc35653d6c.jpeg

• Like 2