226 engine rebuild

Good afternoon. 

I am in search of someone who is willing and able to rebuild my 39 226 flathead. It has original style babbitt bearings. It doesn't have to be redone that way or it can. I haven't been able to find anyone around here (Ky) that is willing to do it.  I am fine with getting it to someone on this side of the country. 

Any help would be great. I have had it running without any strange sounds or smoking. 

thanks 

You realize that parts for theses engines are getting scarce? Does you engine have adequate power?  Does it foul plugs? If it seems like a good runner and maintains oil pressure I wouldn't rebuild it.

I rebuilt my 1940 226 and replaced the rods with 1948 shell bearings rods from Steve Allens many years ago. They are very durable long running motors. The Mains are shells in your engine I believe so those are easy to replace if you can find them. I was lucky to find a blacksmith shop run by an 80 year old who had rebuilt plenty of what he referred to as studebaker truck engines. He did all the machine work on mine. He's long gone now sadly.

Edited by studeboy (see edit history)

You can contact Ted Jensen in Pawling, NY about your engine.  His email is studepickups(AT)optonline (DOT) net. Ted rebuilds Studebaker engines as a business, has done many 226 and 245 engines.  He may even have a rebuilt one in stock to exchange.  Ted can tell you the best way to ship engines back and forth.   

• Like 1

thanks for the input. I will contact Ted soon and see what he has to say.  looking forward to getting it all back together and enjoying it. The body is just about done at the body shop and with a parts truck I have it should be back to the way it was in the day. 

thanks again.

• Like 1