WTB - Stromberg UU-2 Carburetor for 31 Commander Model 70

Might check with John Cislak at Classic Auto Restoration. Those Strombergs are his specialty.

(413) 543-9017

I was there tonight……..he has what you need. UU-2’s are notoriously terrible for falling apart. You can run a UUR-2 which is a much better unit. John will explain the differences to you. Be prepared, they are not inexpensive. Post a picture of what you have tonight if possible. I’ll be working with him all day tomorrow.  Best, Ed.

PS- almost any used UU-2 you find for sale is junk……..John guarantees everything he sells. Be aware since that carburetor it’s about 300 different vehicles, it’s not a one size fits all. The carburetor has to be calibrated to its application. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Ed...THANK YOU for the reply.  I sent a note to the service shop for a picture.  I just heard from someone else that the UU-2 has a bad history.  I REALLY appreciate the info.

When I get the picture, I'll definitely forward to you.  I'll call John later today when I can slip away from work.

Just to add to Ed's post; Stromberg produced 77 DIFFERENT models of the UU-2.

There are 3 different body styles, 5 different internal venturii sizes, and 4 different types of jets in several different calibrations each. Saying "Stromberg UU-2" is almost as informative as saying "red car". ;) 

Four decades ago, we looked at reproducing these units (I do have the original drawings) but it was simply cost prohibitive.

We still manufacture rebuilding kits, but have been out of rebuildable cores for probably 25 years. The kit is still fairly popular.

Jon

• Like 3

Repairing a broken UU-2 or UUR-2 is fairly simple. Find the right guy, and throw handfuls of hundred dollar bills at him……….works every time.  You can spend anywhere from 2 up to 5 grand depending on applications. Unfortunately, there are literally no other choices.