Recent Maintenance Parts Availability Problems

f.f.jones

I have been buying automotive maintenance items at local auto parts stores for over 50years. I don't own or drive any antique, exotic, foreign or classic cars. I have always been able to purchase what I call standard maintenance items for my 30 to 50 year old cars and pick-ups at local chain or independent auto supply shops when needed. Get the part in the morning and do the minor repair in the afternoon.

Well, it seems like things are changing in the parts supply business. Many items that only a year or two ago were "in stock" locally such as points and plugs, radiator hoses and caps, wiper blades, oil and air filters, light bulbs, gasket sets and other "Saturday morning" maintenance items are now "special order", or need to be sent in from a regional warehouse, or back-ordered with no promise date, or simply unavailable. 

I acknowledge the effects of the recent pandemic and "supply chain problems", but this is generic at all six or more auto supply stores in my area. Sometimes, by the time I call or arrive at the third or fourth store, I can find what I need - even if it is a "universal fit" part made in some third-world  country, I can use it at least temporarily in a pinch.

Why is there no lack of items on the local store's shelves? $30+ per gallon oil, battery powered gizmos I've never heard of, spray this and spray thats, polish, deoderants, addatives, camp chairs, back packs, empty tool boxes, rubber mats, key rings and cup holders. No shortage there!

Why can I find exactly what I'm looking for on the Internet? It takes a little planning due to shipping times, and, sometimes, despite the description, I get the wrong item, but the pandemic generally hasn't reduced the availability or increased the difficulty of getting the simple parts I need from non-brick and mortar sources - and prices aren't outrageous. (Specialty parts are a whole different story and not part of my discussion.)

So, here are my questions:

1) Is the lack of "in-store stocked" parts just a local issue, or are others seeing the same thing in other areas?

2) Are parts for older cars becomming "non-stocked specialty parts" and continue to get more difficult to find?

3) Are auto parts stores all becomming "Accessory Stores" as fewer people do their own auto maintenance?

What are your thoughts and recent experiences?

1) Is the lack of "in-store stocked" parts just a local issue, or are others seeing the same thing in other areas?

I live in the Phoenix AZ metro area and not seeing any issues for my 1968 Chevy 3/4 ton driver/tow vehicle (knock on wood). Most parts can be ordered from Oreillys (as an example) online and I can pickup by 10am the same morning a mile from my house and they are always the part I need (with few errors). I question if it could be the area you live. Is it a rural area or small town possibly? There are certain Oriellys I refuse to visit (within a 10 mile radius) as they've had problems with incompetent employees who don't care but my closest store has always had good management and customer service to help make sure we're getting the correct part so I do believe store location is important and does vary. Like anything else nowdays, it's all hit or miss depending on the leadership of said business.

2) Are parts for older cars becomming "non-stocked specialty parts" and continue to get more difficult to find?

Water pump is same day, ignition points and condensor kit is 24-48 hours (for a 327 with TH400). So far I have not experienced the difficulty you're describing.

3) Are auto parts stores all becomming "Accessory Stores" as fewer people do their own auto maintenance?

I've always thought the same way about any auto parts store but I thought it was because a brick and mortar store can only house so many items in stock as most things can be brought from storage of a centralized warehouse within the metro area. I definitely agree fewer people are doing maintenance on their own vehicles. 

I have no desire to work on anything newer than 1972, the headache is just not worth it for me personally.  My other cars are newer and I have a licensed mechanic with all the equipment required to keep them running and to current state emmission standards. 

Dave

The major automotive retailers have a sophisticated inventory control systems and usually will have warehouses that feed all stores overnight, medium stores that have a larger inventory and can feed the smaller stores within a few hours. Maybe you can find the bigger feeder store?

With many using internet suppliers for parts I imagine maintaining a brick and motor parts store has become difficult.

I do miss the days of the independent jobber who took pride in not missing any sales and had a good machine shop in the back!

Dave

Edited by Dave39MD (see edit history)
  • Like 3

If you are buying from O'Reilly's, ask the store you frequent if it is a "hub" store.  If it is, they should have a better selection than a non hub store.  If they are not, ask them where their hub store is.  If it is a long way away that is why you are having a slower delivery.

As for all of the other non car stuff at the parts store that you describe I have not seen that at any of the parts stores that I frequent here in the northers suburbs of Detroit.  Your issue may be location driven.

• Like 1

Yes I feel your pain. I too feel like there are less parts in stock. 

The world has changed tremendously in my lifetime and I’m only 51. Customer service and satisfaction are words thrown around lots. In reality it seems to mean little any more. Computers and algorithms trump common sense. It seems profits and efficiency bring investors and growth, over satisfied buyers. 

We know on-line buying is killing Mom & Pop brick and mortar stores. You can get those $10 ignition points on Amazon for only $12.99 plus $15 freight. You may wait a couple days for arrival then the cheapest-junk points you ever unpacked reveal themselves. 

I am restraining myself from going into a rant about how the computer has replaced a skilled counter partsperson. 

I tend to agree few and fewer people seem to be doing their own work and repairs.  Seems that way. I have no proof. How excited is the average person to open the hood on their 2022 truck when a Fault code appears? 

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Worked with a guy who had a “family fleet” of half a dozen G.M. cars: wife, grown kids, mom, mom in law, etc. That he maintained. Days of the delco remy combo pack, the capacitator and points one unit. He insisted on buying them at a cut rate auto place that sold the 49 cent oil, the white box bearings, etc. The point sets came in a white box, no name,

not sure it even had a part number on the box, the price was very very cheap. Dont remember the amount, but 

c.h.e.a.p.   We were in a vans and would often ride together for some jobs. It was a common occurance a page would come in for him, one his units was beached somewhere, broke down. No start,  or died while motoring along.

He always carried spare white box points, and off we would go to do road side trouble analysis/ correction. He always put a set of points in his pocket, to save a walk back to the van.

the analyzing part was easy. No spark, change the points/capacitor unit. Go figure. 
and he loved their brake pads and shoes. Of course you had to always open the box and see if the lining was still attached to shoe. I always think of him watching the “just rolled in” channel on you tube. 
   And I dont always go to a parts counter for my parts nowadays, but when I do, I always insert “4 doors” during the interrogatory part of the interview. And the kiddo usually gets a puzzled look, thinking he or she missed a page of the menu. And the old guys (like me) chuckle. They get the joke. 
  Thinking about, it seems that point capacitor white box unit was $1.85 or so. 

I'd had a lot of success with the local NAPA and most anything could be had from the warehouse same day. But, the last couple years have brought about a string of managers and multiple turnovers of counter staff. The inventory is now a disaster. Last summer I needed some Plasti-Gage. They showed 3 packages in inventory but nobody in the store knew where they were kept...so they ordered another. We have one other store in our small town; they don't carry as much inventory but the manager really knows his stuff and will bend over backwards to get what you need. And that's a key: having staff that knows where to look, not just on the store shelf (!) but on the computer. Back when I was in business it would always give me a special thrill to find that part I needed was on the shelf at some distant branch-store, and the local guys would have it on the last run of the day. 

I noticed it too, and it's not just Covid-related supply chain problems. I had a fan belt break on my '79 Chevy three years ago. I thought I'd just go pick one up. But nobody had one in stock and it had to be special ordered. Seriously, belts for a small block Chevy are a special order?! Parts that I remember hanging on the wall at every auto repair shop are not so common anymore.

f.f. jones,

I think you need to look for better parts stores.   In the old days the locally owned independet parts stores stocked everything.

You could get your brake drums tuned there, some of then rebuilt engines too.  The new chains carry only what sells quickly and you can't by any other way than by application.    What's it fit?  Often they canl't even look it up by a part #.   Even RockAuto.com does not have parts knowledgible 

people/   (Once I couldn't find a motor mount listed and asked if there was another name for it.  She said,"We;re not mechanics")

While hard to find, I still like the old locally named and owned parts stores.

• Like 1

I'm lucky that I have NAPA and Federated parts stores close by with exceptional inventory and staff. If those are closed I use O'Reilly some as they can usually get stuff in pretty quick if not in stock, and the counter folks are usually car-knowledgeable.

A couple of other big chains, I stay away from if at all possible. Went in one to get a 3/8" inline fuel filter and the kid kept wanting to know model make and year. I said it's generic and will not be listed under the car I'm getting it for. He finally said (by that time almost in tears) "I can't look it up unless I have a model make and year!"

🙄

Another one, I needed some power steering return hose AKA transmission cooler hose. The kid locked in on "power steering hose" and insisted I had to have a piece of reinforced high pressure hose with a metal line and flare fitting. Finally said "forget I said power steering. Do you have any transmission cooler hose?"

Unfortunately that really tossed his salad. His assistant manager finally got me what I wanted.

Then there was the one who had absolutely no idea what a PCV breather filter was.

The only chain store I would frequent was Pep Boys.  Now they only offer Service.  No more retail parts.  Their website tells us why.  They found most people today say, "Do it for me."  Instead of the DIY clientele they used to have.

Yes, brick and mortar is struggling.  It is expensive to take up floor space for a $1.49 tube of graphite lock lubricant.  There's no money to be made there.  Same with major parts behind the counter.  Sure, some may be proud to say, "Yes, I have that brake drum for your '66 Dodge pickup."  But that isn't going to pay the rent.  The disposable brake rotors for the Honda Civic will, though.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 10:11 AM, Paul Dobbin said:

I think you need to look for better parts stores.   In the old days the locally owned independet parts stores stocked everything.

You could get your brake drums tuned there, some of then rebuilt engines too.  The new chains carry only what sells quickly and you can't by any other way than by application.    What's it fit?  Often they canl't even look it up by a part #.   Even RockAuto.com does not have parts knowledgible 

people/

There's not much in the way of "independent" anything any more. Clothing, shoes, hardware, grocery, bakery, pet store, doctors and hospitals, and even barbers are part of regional or national chain operations these days. 

The "little guy" is a thing of the past in most communities.

A sad commentary on the times.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rocketraider said:

A couple of other big chains, I stay away from if at all possible. Went in one to get a 3/8" inline fuel filter and the kid kept wanting to know model make and year. I said it's generic and will not be listed under the car I'm getting it for. He finally said (by that time almost in tears) "I can't look it up unless I have a model make and year!"

Napa is like that now too. It isn't the kid's fault. The gray haired guys are stuck with it as well. It is the same software you deal with when you look it up yourself online. The paper books are long gone. There is one older guy here at NAPA that has it all in his head. When he retires things are going to get difficult fast. At Oreilly here, there is one older guy and a couple of kids who can find almost anything but it is in spite of the system rather than because of it.

If you can identify what you need, it is generally overnight here for NAPA, Oreilly, or Autozone, even though it probably isn't in stock in the store. That part has improved dramatically in recent years.

On 7/24/2022 at 10:23 PM, rocketraider said:

Then there was the one who had absolutely no idea what a PCV breather filter was.

I used to have to ask for a Corvair radiator cap to get that reaction...  :huh:

• Haha 2

The breather filter story gets better. When the boy finally found it, it was priced at $52.50. My jaw dropped, since the Motorcraft part at the Ford dealer was about six bucks. But this WAS about 8pm, when the Ford store was closed.

Some corporate-level data entry wonk had keyed in $52.50 instead of the correct $5.25 price. Yes, decimal points do matter!🤡 and no, I didn't buy it.

• Haha 1