Leo's Auto Supply Tucson Arizona metal sign/badge

HudsonHawk

It appears Leo's is no more.  Mr Google did find a couple pix - dunno how Paul Bunyan fit into an auto supply store. 😁

9442087_orig.jpg

5967e0595bed2.image.jpg?resize=500,631

In case you don't know, you have a license topper.  As the name implies, it is installed above the license plate, usually with the same screws/bolts that hold the plate to the bracket.  Not much way to mount one on modern vehicles but they were/are popular on vintage cars.  I've never seen a Leo's one but there are a bazillion different designs with place names, advertisng, car clubs, whatever - the same idea as bumper stickers.  Some are still being made.  They usually are multicolored so yours may have been repainted.

44 minutes ago, CHuDWah said:

It appears Leo's is no more.  Mr Google did find a couple pix - dunno how Paul Bunyan fit into an auto supply store. 😁

9442087_orig.jpg

That looks awful familiar. . . I think I bought some parts there in the late 1960s to fix the family car. I would have said it was on Campbell but a site with the Paul Bunyan photo says Glenn and Stone which is in that same general area. So I guess it was on Stone near Glenn, west side of the street as I recall.

33 minutes ago, Fossil said:

I think Paul Bunyan was actually for another business near by. 

I recall the Paul Bunyan at a tire store rather than at the auto parts store. I also recall wondering what a lumberjack had to do with anything related to Tucson.

But that was a lot of decades ago and I haven’t lived in Tucson since the early 1970s so my memory is likely hazy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fossil said:

I think Paul Bunyan was actually for another business near by.

3 hours ago, ply33 said:

...I recall the Paul Bunyan at a tire store rather than at the auto parts store. I also recall wondering what a lumberjack had to do with anything related to Tucson...

Could be.  My GoogleFu didn't find much, just the pix and a vague reference to Leo's and Bunyan in the same context.  He might have been at a nearby tire store but dunno what he had to do with tires either, or Tucson for that matter.  Course some stores put all kinds of attention-getters outside just to draw customers in.

• Like 1

Apparently, those statues are affectionately known simply as "Muffler Men" to many in the modern internet historian world.

Over the years, they have been repainted, repaired, altered, in many ways to display all sorts of goods and services as well as food. I remember seeing many of them in front of or next to muffler shops of many names. However, I seem to recall that when I was young, they were first associated with one specific chain of muffler repair shops. It may have been Midas Mufflers? I know many Midas Muffler shops did have those at some point. But whether they began there or not I do not know. They usually had either a giant muffler or a full head/tail and muffler assembly held between the hands.

Made of fiberglass, they get hit, knocked over, broken and repaired again and again. I remember when one in San Jose California was "kidnapped" in the 1970s! It had been a major landmark for a couple decades and the whole town was upset by its disappearance! Ransom was asked, payments offered, but no further response. About another week went by, and information was let out where it could be found. Apparently, what started as a practical joke went bad when the stature fell over after transportation and broke into several pieces! Afraid of the repercussions, the jokers moved it again to a neutral place and abandoned the wreckage where it could be found. It was at first declared beyond repair!  However, never-say-die local auto body-men managed to do what all the king's horses and all the king's men had failed to do! The muffler man was returned to his local spot with a slightly altered arm (the worst broken area!) to continue his vigilance and offer directions to the lost.

(NO, I did not have anything to do with the prank!) It was however second section/local news front page for a couple weeks!

10 hours ago, HudsonHawk said:

Anyone interested in this piece, or at least give me a bit of history about the place?

Thanks20220717_163235.jpg.fb8d7eb7758887e7a1a6ee8a80ea5f6b.jpg

I thought I would add my two cents worth here and show a few of the license toppers I have collected over the years. The top and bottom toppers are cast aluminum like the Tucson one, the middle one is thin sheet metal. There are more sizes, shapes, and designs than you can imagine.

Many insurance companies, oil companies, motor clubs, even trade unions and political candidates would issue them to customers, members and constituents to display on their cars. Enameled and plated ones were not unusual. They make neat collectibles.

1549736528_lic1.jpg.5786b63f69366d50464bb129b6165719.jpg

1931 Ford Model A Fordor, License Plate and Farm Bureau To… | Flickr

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ply33 said:

That looks awful familiar. . . I think I bought some parts there in the late 1960s to fix the family car. I would have said it was on Campbell but a site with the Paul Bunyan photo says Glenn and Stone which is in that same general area. So I guess it was on Stone near Glenn, west side of the street as I recall.

I recall the Paul Bunyan at a tire store rather than at the auto parts store. I also recall wondering what a lumberjack had to do with anything related to Tucson.

But that was a lot of decades ago and I haven’t lived in Tucson since the early 1970s so my memory is likely hazy.

That has to be it.

Here's a bit more for anyone interested.

Takes me back to to the days helping my uncle when sign painting...

As for the license topper, it's a nice nostalgic piece that someone will appreciate. 

Tucson's Paul Bunyan history (celebrationspartyspot.com)

image.png.1957921531e0954dac97683adebe979d.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

OK, you guys whetted my curiosity so I did more research and found this link:

International Fiberglass Paul Bunyan Statues

This Paul Bunyan statue was installed here at Don's Hot Rod Shop in 1964. The owner bought the statue along with a cow, rooster, and horse at a trade show in San Francisco. It seems likely that the Paul Bunyan and and the other statues were produced by Bob Prewitt before he sold the molds to International Fiberglass. In 2011, the statue was repainted. In 2013, a small brick wall was built around the statue. There is also an International Fiberglass Cowboy statue in Tucson.

Tucson Paul appears to be the standard IF model but a customer could order variations - different head, torso, legs, accessories, etc.

And to keep this auto-related, some history of Leo's - seems Paul gets dressed up for various occasions.  🤣

https://celebrationspartyspot.com/tucsons-paul-bunyans-history.html (oops - Dodge Panel beat me to the link)

More Muffler Man history:

Origin of the Species

and where to find them:

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/37422

and the mutant Muffler Man...Chicken Boy! 😂

Chicken Boy

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)

Peter...you sure look a lot better since the last selfie you posted after that bike accident.  Earl Scheib did a great job finally.

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...