1929 Dodge with seldom seen body style

F&J

This was at a farm type show in Eastern CT yesterday.   I thought that there might be a few members that would like to see it.   I did not put this in General Discussion because I thought it would be better appreciated here.

I have had interest in all 29-31 Mopars since way back 50 years ago, and I've never seen one.  I went to Hershey from 71 to 91 and can't recall seeing one there.  

To some, it is a 2 door sedan, but not really.  It is what was called by body builders as "Close Coupled" as the body stops at the middle of rear fenders.  Also, the trunk was a big part of the overall design, not just an option.  

I think it's called a Brougham by the factory?   The elderly owner can't recall what year he bought it, but he then redid it and got in on the road in 2001.  Yes, I know.... the wooden R-boards and one wrong taillight...  but still...

any comments you care to make?  Do you care for it's style or not?, or if you know of other ones?...etc

Sad to say that in my area, stock prewar cars of this timeframe have almost completely fallen out of fashion, and there seems to be none out driving on the roads and not even much interest in these old stock cars from spectators.

20220716_083204.jpg.369b15c66af2859955dd2892dd222b92.jpg20220716_083148.jpg.7398ed1c87e4b1dea3365dc482c2b18d.jpg

• Like 7

20 hours ago, E-116-YH said:

Hello Doug,

Do you think that now? I have a real problem with people posting or publishing information that is nothing but untruth. History is all screwed because people don't do the research that they should before they mislead other people!

We are all here to help each other, there is nice ways of correcting someone if you! think they are wrong. Relax a little hey. Doug does more than most for the DB family. 

• Like 4

Doug mentioned my 2-Door car earlier in this discussion, so I wanted to contribute a note about the "Victoria" model.  My build record definitely states "Victoria".  And for those that have not seen my Victoria, I've included a photo of it.  IMG_5219r.jpg.c822ab473308a7f7edb4db8bc08d74e3.jpgIMG_5218r.jpg.1a0348cd617bbc2d56f6dd5b352d21de.jpg

2002461906_My1930DodgeVictoriaBuildRecord.jpg.c1e0cab6c07855bb0b0ae44aa715a739.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HBergh said:

for those that have not seen my Victoria, I've included a photo of it.  

Thanks for the rear picture because I had wondered if the Victoria body had a bustle back like Fords do.  I am now led to believe that the only difference is the rear seat styles?

I have another question on 29 Dodge; was there a "normal" 2 door sedan where the body cabin came further back? (I once had a 1929 DeSoto 2 dr sedan and that body came back much further like most all other makes of 2 door sedan cars in those years.

6 minutes ago, F&J said:

Thanks for the rear picture because I had wondered if the Victoria body had a bustle back like Fords do.  I am now led to believe that the only difference is the rear seat styles?

I have another question on 29 Dodge; was there a "normal" 2 door sedan where the body cabin came further back? (I once had a 1929 DeSoto 2 dr sedan and that body came back much further like most all other makes of 2 door sedan cars in those years.

I do not see a two door sedan in my books for the 1929 DB.

• Like 1

Hi John; You are correct; the most glaring difference between a Brougham and Victoria is the length of the back seat, where the Victoria was shortened to allow for the so called "hat box".  Another interesting note about these two models of DA is that the hand brake is on the left side, close to the body, where as the normal DA has the hand brake more to the right, next to the gear shift lever.  Further more, there was a plain 2-door made without the fitted trunk.  Here's a picture of one:

DAside.jpg.7487b4c6849a5c8528abca3df66460c1.jpg

• Like 2