Starter end plate has shattered

1928 Standard Six.

My starter end plate has shattered. North East Electeic. Good news is they are available from Myers, bad news is they are $235.00

Any idea what could have caused this to happen? I suspect the starter was staying engaged or something like that. I don't want to break another!

Follow up question, is there a difference in the Canadian and USA models?

Secondary question, does anyone have a good used one they are willing to sell?

20220716_232527.jpg

20220716_232453.jpg

20220716_232104.jpg

Edited by David_Leech (see edit history)

• David_Leech changed the title to Starter end plate has shattered

Have you bought modern parts lately? 200 bucks is cheap. That’s less than a tank of fuel for my 3500 pick up. Just be thankful it’s available. It would cost you two grand to make a single one…..and months of work. Any pre war car that’s broken and the repair is less than a grand……..is free.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Have you bought modern parts lately? 200 bucks is cheap. That’s less than a tank of fuel for my 3500 pick up. Just be thankful it’s available. It would cost you two grand to make a single one…..and months of work. Any pre war car that’s broken and the repair is less than a grand……..is free.

I hear you on that. Once I got it off, I went straight to Myers and sighed in relief that it was available. I agree, $235 isnt that bad, but I don't have to be happy about it!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, nearchoclatetown said:

It probably broke because it's 100 years old and made of pot metal. The new one will be cast in aluminum and last 200 years.

My distributor is currently returning to it's elemental form due to being 100 years old and pot metal. Hopefully this is the same case. 

• Like 1