Chevy 216 in a 1942 GMC?

Hello!  I'm new here.  Today I take delivery of a 42 GMC CC102 pick up.  It has sat for 50 years and the engine is likely stuck.  I have a beautiful low mileage 216 from a 1950 Chevy sedan as a spare sitting around.  Would that bolt right in or do I need to fab some custom motor mounts?  Thanks for your time!  Here is a pic of "Old Rusty"!

20220715_205449.jpg

Edited by Timnic95
None (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If it truly is a '42 model it would be rather rare. Note being rare does not necessarily mean valuable. In my opinion the GMC engine will be the better engine. Most GMC engines were full pressure oil. When I spun a bearing in my '58 GMC I had a 235 laying around that I put in. I think it was a '53 or '54 engine. I had to make a front motor plate adapter, the rest bolted up.

Art

• Thanks 1

You could probably do it if you want. The GMC engine is a lot longer though. In the later AD trucks, the radiator had to mount ahead of the core support in the GMC versions just to get the GMC engine in.

I like 216s and I am not knocking them but.... they are an old quirky design. The GMC engine, despite it's 216-like looks, is a completely different design with full pressure oiling and a sensible combustion chamber shape. It is so much more advanced it isn't even really comparable. I would try to get the GMC engine running.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys!  The good news is that the 228 is not stuck after all.  With that being said, it did have 2 stuck valves, but I was able to work them loose.  You can see in this first pic how disheartening it all looked at first.  I thought to myself that this engine would never turn with a top end that looks like this.  That being said, I will also have the side cover off to check for bent pushrods.  Our goal now is to flush all the crud out of the oil passages, clean out the oil pan, and try to get her started soon.  It does spin freely with a spare floor starter motor I had.  The other was full of acorns and seeds!

20220717_092010.jpg

Edited by Timnic95 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've been putting Marvel Mystery Oil and some transmission oil in the cylinders and on the rocker shaft.  I will clean up the head, hand lap the valves, (and replace any bad ones), clean out the block and pan, hone the cylinder walls, and replace the rings.  I won't have the money to do a full rebuild, but at the very least we can freshen it up a bit!

Edited by Timnic95 (see edit history)
  • Like 1