For Sale: 1954 Kaiser Special, (First Series) 2dr Sedan - Project - $4,500 - New Orleans, LA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1954 Kaiser Special, (First Series) 2dr Sedan - Project - $4,500 - New Orleans, LA

1954 kaiser 2dr rare - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

Rare 1954 kaiser special 2 door. Runs transmission works brakes don't work. Project car. Some new parts. Super Sonic 6cyl engine. Automatic transmission. Wouldn't take much to make this a driver. Has some rust but manageable. No one you know has one I bet. I might trade I have another project car and lost interest in this one. make me a reasonable offer!

Copy and paste in your email: 867a4a6d84353ffc9b1bae4470ac47cc@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1954 Kaiser Special, (First Series) 2dr Sedan - Project.

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, Edited by John Gunnell states:

"A confusing situation was the offering of two distinctly different type Kaiser Specials for 1954.  It seems that several thousand 1953 models were leftover at the beginning of the year.  It was decided to turn them into 1954 Specials.  About 3,500 cars were converted this way by adding new grilles taillights, trim and data plates.  The cars had one-piece, non-wraparound rear windows, wide, three-quarter length lower body moldings, 1953 style interior and chassis features and Kaiser-Frazer (Kaiser Motors) (willow Run) firewall code plates"

'54 kaiser 2dr NOLA a.jpg

'54 kaiser 2dr NOLA b.jpg

'54 kaiser 2dr NOLA c.jpg

'54 kaiser 2dr NOLA d.jpg

'54 kaiser 2dr NOLA e.jpg

• Like 1

The early series 1954 Special was the result of leftover unsold 1953 Kaisers. The 1953 front sheet metal was replaced with 1954 units and the tail light assemblies were updated as well. Aside from new serial number and trim tags, the rest of the car is the same as a 1953 Kaiser.  A repaint of the lower body was required to match everything up. Today, if you find an original early Special, the paint is usually thin on the front end while from the doors back it will still be presentable, thanks to two coats of paint.

Once all of these sold, Kaiser produced a late series Special using true 1954 bodies. Like the early series Special, there were no superchargers and lower grade trims were used both inside and out.

Roughly 3500 two and four door units were produced as early and late series Specials.

Oh, and the front bumper is upside down on the pictured car.

Edited by jimkf (see edit history)