1970 Buick Riviera VIN question please.

Kink56

In 1970 they make a total of 666,501 Buicks. My question is how can a 1970 Riviera have a Serial number of 936,xxx. I have seen another with a serial number in the 800,000s.  How can any 1970 Buick have a SN higher than 666,501? 

While I am here. Do all models of Buicks pull serial numbers from the same pool? That is can a Skylark and a Electra have the same last 6 digits or are the last six digits used only once regardless of model or manufacturing plant in any given model year? Thank you. 

13 minutes ago, RivNut said:

First two are the model, second two are the body style, next is the year,  letter is the assembly plant, last numbers are the production code.

I know. I am talking about the last 6 digits only. 

I have posted this question in 3 different Buick forums. And most people think I am trying to decode my VIN. I am not. I do not think people read the actual question and only respond to the title. I am trying to figure out how a serial number (the production code) can numerically exceed the model year production number, in this case 666,501 total Buicks built. 

So far, even those who understand my question do not know either. But I have faith an expert will eventually respond. 

Edited by Kink56 (see edit history)

So it would follow the last 6 digits are not a simple sequence number like 000001 through 999999 but a production CODE. I wonder if there is a way to decode the last 6 digits.  There WAS a time, probably pre 1963, where the VIN included at actual sequence number or serial number. 

My educated guess: the leading "9" refers to model 4900 (Riviera).  The sequence number would be the last 5 digits.  That would make BrianM's car Riviera # 37,xxx; which would mean his was near the end of the '70 production run of 37,336 Rivieras.

We can test that theory if someone else with another model Buick provides the last 6 from their tag...

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)

41 minutes ago, Kink56 said:

I have posted this question in 3 different Buick forums. And most people think I am trying to decode my VIN. I am not. I do not think people read the actual question and only respond to the title. I am trying to figure out how a serial number (the production code) can numerically exceed the model year production number, in this case 666,501 total Buicks built. 

So far, even those who understand my question do not know either. But I have faith an expert will eventually respond. 

Then you need to go back and change the title of your thread.  

1 minute ago, EmTee said:

My educated guess: the leading "9" refers to model 4900 (Riviera).  The sequence number would be the last 5 digits.  That would make BrianM's car Riviera # 37,xxx; which would mean his was near the end of the '70 production run of 37,336 Rivieras.

I like the theory, but it does not hold water. My 1970 Electra is a series 48 and the 6 digit sequence begins with 279xxx. And I have been researching all 1970 Buicks online that publish their VIN, and there is no consistency as to a pattern between Skylarks, LeSabres, Wildcats, Electras or Rivieras. The last 6 digits have no online explanation that I have found. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Then you need to go back and change the title of your thread.  

No I state I have a question. I did not state the question in the title. My question is in the OP. My question is too long for the title. But no matter what type of forum I post a thread MOST people do not bother to read the OP. They make assumptions.  You ASSUMED what my question was. You thought it was a run-of-the-mill question asked a thousand times. I can research run-of-the-mill questions. My questions are the result of my having done as much practical research I could BEFORE I ask. 

Edited by Kink56 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kink56 said:

So it would follow the last 6 digits are not a simple sequence number like 000001 through 999999 but a production CODE. I wonder if there is a way to decode the last 6 digits.  There WAS a time, probably pre 1963, where the VIN included at actual sequence number or serial number. 

In 1963 and 1964 each Riviera has an FB number.  FB for Fisher Body, and the number is sequential to the year and the order in which it came off the Fisher Body line.  That went away in 1965

From the Team Buick website

LAST SIX DIGITS: Represent the basic production sequence

EXAMPLE:
H
Buick
Div
Series
Body
Style
Year
Asm
Plant
Prod
Code

2 minutes ago, RivNut said:

In 1963 and 1964 each Riviera has an FB number.  FB for Fisher Body, and the number is sequential to the year and the order in which it came off the Fisher Body line.  That went away in 1965

From the Team Buick website

LAST SIX DIGITS: Represent the basic production sequence

EXAMPLE:
H
Buick
Div
Series
Body
Style
Year
Asm
Plant
Prod
Code

But the last 6 digits on a 1970 DOES NOT represent the order it came off the line, because if it did, it could NEVER be larger than 666,501.  If you notice my question is not about 1963 or 1964 Rivieras. If you do not understand the question, you are not being helpful. Butt out. 

24 minutes ago, Kink56 said:

I was supplying info based on your last comment in this post.  

Your best bet is to contact someone at the Buick Heritage Alliance and see if they can answer your question.  Apparently no one here knows.

The Riviera VIN number sequence started at 900,000. There is probably another full size car which also used the 900,000 vin model so the numbers will progress beyond just Riviera production. That was the scenario earlier in the '60's in Flint, but I'm not sure if that extended through the '70 model year. Do you have a chassis manual? There is a good possibility this info is presented in the general information section.

BTW...I would not expect Electra VIN numbers to tie into the Riviera VIN model...probably more likely that the Riviera and Wildcat models used the 900,000 sequence.

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

There is probably another full size car which also used the 900,000 vin model so the numbers will progress beyond just Riviera production. That was the scenario earlier in the '60's in Flint...

I was wondering whether the leading digit might be unique to an assembly plant.  That could also explain why more than one model could have the same leading digit.

Okay. Read the 1970 Chassis Manual. In reference to the 6 digit production code: All I-6 Buicks begin with a "6". All Rivieras begin with a "9" (nothing about what number is used for all the other models, so I guess other models could use anything other than 6 or 9 as the first number) so that leaves the remaining 5 digits as the serial number. Now since there were 666,501 Buicks made and only 5 digits used for the SN. I am thinking maybe say a Skylark and a LeSabre (for example) may share the last five digits, whereas the first 7 alpha-numerics would still render a unique ViN

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, EmTee said:

I was wondering whether the leading digit might be unique to an assembly plant.  That could also explain why more than one model could have the same leading digit.

Yes, Flint, the only plant Rivieras were assembled at.

Tom Mooney