65 Riviera radiator

jframe

I have noticed a small crack in my Riv's radiator on the top tank. Maybe am inch or so long and it's barely seeping, but I do want to get it fixed. Still has the original in it, I believe. Stamped "Harrison", and still has the battery warning decal on the driver's side. What are my best options; try to find a new one, and what kind and size, or try to find someone to repair this one?

20220711_192820.jpg

Mark, I bought a US Radiator with an extra row of copper. Well after a year or two the US radiator was beginning to separate at the sides.

i dug out my original radiator and had a recore. The recore cost as much as new radiator. I knew I had recourse because I know the shop and they stand behind their work.

id get mine fixed before I’d buy another radiator made off shore.

Just my personal experience. I’ve heard aluminum radiators are very good at cooling.

stay cool

Turbinatir

• Like 2

Also just had mine repaired about a month ago at  my local radiator shop, very similair to yours,

all good and working well,------if possible stick to original---i also use Preston anti freeze , have done for over 25 years.

P1100246.JPG

• Like 1

Got the radiator at the shop getting checked out, and going to go ahead and add one of those Safe-T-Stat thermostats from NAPA in 180° version as well, since I don't know the history. I noticed the fan clutch has a fair amount of oily grime in the coil area; would it be a good idea to get a new one since I am this far in, and if so, what's a good place to purchase?

2 hours ago, telriv said:

NAPA also. The H/D clutch for a 1 tom Chevy truck.

Tom T.

Tom, do you have a part number? I don't always trust these young counter guys. Been in the business 34 years, and most of the newer ones don't even carry a pen.

Mark,  last one i got   was  ----Old Buick Parts---Cars inc--part---FC626-4

thermal fan clutch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jframe said:

Tom, do you have a part number? I don't always trust these young counter guys. Been in the business 34 years, and most of the newer ones don't even carry a pen.

Mark,

Here are part numbers that I have gleaned from the forum over the years for the fan clutch. It looks like they are all available from various sources.

Imperial 215049     NAPA 217301      Murray 2705

Bill

• Like 2

10 hours ago, telriv said:

NAPA #217301

Tom T.

I put that part number into my local NAPA website to check stock, and got 65 different products, but none of them were a fan clutch.

1 hour ago, jframe said:

I put that part number into my local NAPA website to check stock, and got 65 different products, but none of them were a fan clutch.

This might be it:I know you were looking for 217301 and when I google NAPA 217301 fan clutch this what came up ?   https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/TEM271301

Bob

Edited by NailheadBob
update (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Got it all finished up today with new stickers, 180 degree fail safe thermostat, the severe duty fan clutch y'all recommended, fresh coolant, and cleaned out radiator. The small leak on the top tank was fixed in the process, and I also replaced the bottom mount cushions. Runs and cools like a top; 90 plus degree day in North Alabama with what feels like 150 percent humidity, and the car runs 190-200 degrees with the Vintage Air a/c blasting in town traffic. Thanks for all the suggestions; I've really became an amateur, and I mean AMATEUR mechanic with this car. I guess a 35 year parts man can learn a few new tricks after all lol. Once again the pic is upside down and I can't seem to right it, but y'all get the overall idea.

20220723_085859.jpg

Edited by jframe (see edit history)
  • Like 1