1954 Buick Century Dynaflow Torque Ball Retainer Kit

Bill Meginley

Hello all, 

I am about to embark on my 1954 dynaflow torque ball seal kit and need some help. 

I have seen the youtube out there for the 1958 but we do not have the same suspension on the torque tube. So my question here is to be able to get the rear end to slide back on a 1954 Buick Century what do I need to remove to be able to slide the rear end back 6 inches here? 

I could not located that old Buick magazine article many reference 

2 hours ago, old-tank said:

Some recent discussion HERE.

I did those searches and find very very few with photos or steps on a 54. I saw 1 55 that he took the entire rear end out on a lift. It's my understanding I can do from jack stands by shifting the rear back BUT I dont know what to disconnect to gain that distance on a 54

Get under there and look at it.  You will see that you need to detach the parking brake cable, maybe the brake line if it's too short, remove the panhard bar and pull the rear end back until the spring is against the pattern bar mount.  You don't need to remove it completely unless other work is being done.  You might need to lift the torque tube if you can't toggle the outer torque ball retainer between the torque ball and the drive shaft.  2 quarts of transmission fluid will leak everywhere, just keep your mouth open so it doesn't hit you in the face.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bill Meginley said:

I did those searches and find very very few with photos or steps on a 54. I saw 1 55 that he took the entire rear end out on a lift. It's my understanding I can do from jack stands by shifting the rear back BUT I dont know what to disconnect to gain that distance on a 54

Lift the car and use jack stands. Safety first.  Once up remove the following:

1. Pan hard. It's attached to the body and axle. 

2. Shock links

3.  Parking brake cable

4. Brake hose up by the torque ball 

5. I recommend removing the coil springs. Pulling the entire assembly rearward is simply easier. Plus, the torque tube binds when at an angle. You will not get the assembly rearward. I use a floor jack on wheels under the rear axle. Level the assembly to the transmission. Pull rearward. 

It's not that difficult. I have pulled the assembly out of both my Buicks without any help. 

60 assembly out to replace a u-joint 

IMAG1539.jpg

The 54 pulled just enough rearward to drop the manual transmission. 

IMAG0741.jpg

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 2