Won't shift to reverse

ralphnof49

We drove our 1947 Lincoln on Saturday about 30 miles each way to a large car show with close to 100 cars. On the way home the overdrive was taking higher speed to shift to overdrive and eventually would not shift at all.  Upon inspection today I found the oil level in the overdrive to be quite low, and the solenoid looking normal. After reinstalling the solenoid and intending to road test it I discovered that the transmission will not shift to reverse but does shift to the forward gears. I cannot even push the car in reverse. The linkage levers are not jammed and can be shifted to the forward gears but not reverse. I am looking for ideas on how to proceed with solving this problem .

Please and thank you.

Ralph 

I need to add information. The day after coming home I needed to move the Lincoln to access other cars and put the Lincoln on the lift. It did reverse about 150 feet and then after moving the other cars it was driven onto the lift and even reversed once to get it centered on the lift. After adding oil and checking the solenoid for the overdrive was when it would not shift to reverse.

If the overdrive is engaged, you will not be able to shift into reverse. There is a rod that is activated by a cam in the transmission that forces the overdrive to disengage. This may have been damaged when you ran the OD dry.

To check if this is the problem, disengage the OD with the dash control and the try to go in reverse. If you can, then you will have to remove the trans and overdrive and replace the damaged parts. If it was my car, I would not drive it, either way, until I had checked the OD and trans for worn parts. You could cause some very serious damage.

Look for the Repair Manual Transmission, Clutches, Overdrives and power takeoffs Ford form no 3697-47 and buy the book. You will need it to trouble shoot and repair the OD

• 2 weeks later...

You can try removing the solenoid and then try to move the cable, but I really believe that you are going to have to remove and repair the transmission and over drive.

The only man that I would trust working on the overdrive  is Mac Van Pelts  http://vanpeltsales.com/

He sometimes gives help over the phone and does do some E-Mail assistance when he has time. I strongly suggest that you contact him as he has 1,000 time more knowledge than I do.

Do NOT drive the car, you could do serious damage up to breaking the cases.

I've had some luck with Transmission Exchange company in Portland, Oregon.  I agree with Tom, pretty much has to be the interlock mechanism.  There is also an extra pawl inside that later BW OD's didn't have.  If this has slipped, might cause problem.  47-48 units have an electrical interlock on the side of the OD housing you can feel free to disconnect.

Thanks for the Van Pelt reference. I saw their name in a magazine article on rebuilding Borg Warner overdrive transmissions. I don't know of anyone in Canada that can work on these transmissions so may have to send it out. I will explore all this before doing more. I do have an overdrive transmission from a 1946 parts car but don't know how good it is or how well it would fit to our 1947. The van pelt website is very good, I will look up the Portland company too. I will be away for the next 10 days and have hip surgery in September so this could take a while to get done. I need to check on the electrical interlock possibility that Abe refers too.