Clock illumination?

Adambravo

Not sure about the bulb, but if the clock is like others GM used at the time the way to correct fast or slow running was to keep manually setting (i.e., correcting) the time.  Each time correction should nudge the mechanism toward the correct frequency.

Superbrite has a website that asks you questions about your vehicle and finds the correct LED replacement for your incandescent bulb. I’ve used Superbrite a number of times.

It sounds like you are interested in correct time. Gents on the forum have given instructions on how to fix the clock yourself. I opted to send my clock out for a quartz replacement movement. The $150. Cost was worth it to me.

On 7/10/2022 at 9:06 PM, Adambravo said:

The clock on my ‘63 works fine—arguably a bit too fine, as it runs rather fast—but the illumination is rather dim compared to the other gauges. Is the bulb replaceable?

If you have had the clock out, you have seen where the light bulb holder plugs into the back of the clock can.

I find it easier to take the dash pad out and access the clock bulb from above.

Old incandescent bulbs develop a silvery grey metal film on the inside for the glass over time that reduces their light output. The mere act of replacing the bulb with a new one will brighten it up because there is no metal film inside the new bulb. It is also possible up up-size the bulb by 1 candlepower to get a bit more light in there.

If you install an LED bulb, you will want to do it to all of your instruments, not just the clock, or the clock will stand out like a beacon compared to all of the other dim bulbs. This is easy to do with the dash pad off.  I agree with the others, the folks at SuperBrightLEDs.com are great.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/

Do I have your car in my '63 Riviera database? I don't remember.  What's your FB number on your data plate?

Edited by Jim Cannon (see edit history)

Thanks! I don't think I want to go the LED route, although I didn't know I'd have to take out the dash pad. Is there a link indicating the best way for a newbie to do that?

If you tell me what a FB number is, I'll check it out... ;)

The FB number can be found on the Fisher Body Data plate which is riveted to the firewall above the power brake booster.  It will tell you the date the car was built, the FB number, which is the sequential build number, the trim and paint codes, and the options that Fisher Body provided for before the body was attached to a chassis, the engine was installed, and the car was sent to final assembly for the rest of the options andvthevfront clip was installed.

1 hour ago, Jim Cannon said:

If you have had the clock out, you have seen where the light bulb holder plugs into the back of the clock can.

I find it easier to take the dash pad out and access he clock bulb from above.

Old incandescent bulbs develop a silvery grey metal film on the inside for the glass over time that reduces their light output. The mere act of replacing the bulb with a new one will brighten it up because there is no metal film inside the new bulb. It is also possible up up-size the bulb by 1 candlepower to get a bit more light in there.

If you install an LED bulb, you will want to do it to all of your instruments, not just the clock, or the clock will stand out like a beacon compared to all of the other dim bulbs. This is easy to do with the dash pad off.  I agree with the others, the folks at SuperBrightLEDs.com are great.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/

Do I have your car in my '63 Riviera database? I don't remember.  What's your FB number on your data plate?

Jim any part numbers for led bulbs

7 hours ago, tenugent said:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/1963-buick-riviera-vehicle-led-lights?make=14&model=1380&year=1963

Instrument panel bulbs are 194s.  I used Warm White and I like how they look.

Look in the shop manual for all the stock bulb numbers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tenugent said:

Tim, Superbrite website walks you through the questions you answer and provide you with LED equivalent to your incandescent. I changed all my interior lights out but one incandescent  with LED bulbs. A lot brighter for an a man to see.

If you are interested in converting your Riv's clock to a quartz movement, see CLOCKS4CARS | eBay Stores. They are also known as Instrument Services, INC. Automotive Clock and Automotive Gauge Repair and Restoration, Speedometer Repair, Tachometer Repair, Car Clock Quartz Conversion, Gauge Cluster Repair, Instrument Services (clocksandgauges.com)

They sell replacement quartz movements for various classic vehicles. 

I have used their devices and I really like them!

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 3:44 PM, NC1968Riviera said:

If you are interested in converting your Riv's clock to a quartz movement, see CLOCKS4CARS | eBay Stores. They are also known as Instrument Services, INC. Automotive Clock and Automotive Gauge Repair and Restoration, Speedometer Repair, Tachometer Repair, Car Clock Quartz Conversion, Gauge Cluster Repair, Instrument Services (clocksandgauges.com)

They sell replacement quartz movements for various classic vehicles. 

I have used their devices and I really like them!

I, too, have used their services.  Very professional.  I highly recommend them.

Purchase BA9 Cool White LED bulb for your clock. As with any LED without a controller, you'll lose dimming capability. But, no matter, will perform awesome and won't "toast" the reflective coating inside the can. I re-painted the interior of the can to restore reflective properties. (Image).

Remove the Borg clock from the front, then disconnect and take it to your bench. I use a Tide Laundry dispensing cup or, a fat elastic from broccoli bunches

DSC01702.JPG

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)