1960 Buick Electra 401 Starter Rebuilder or Replacement

avgwarhawk

9 hours ago, EmTee said:

If you can reach those two solenoid screws it's possible to replace it without having to remove the starter again.

Yes sir. I only bolted the starter back on. Exhaust is still loose.  I'll remove it again and work on it on the bench. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Machine Gun said:

I have one and agree with @avgwarhawk completely. It's so much easier than dealing with jack stands, and I feel 100% safer with the Quick Jack. I wouldn't be without it.

Being the Electra is 5000# I wanted to purchase a Quick Jack that far exceeded 5000# rating.  I purchased the 7000# rated model. I was astonished with the ease Quick Jack lifted 5000#.  I do feel much safer than using jack stands.  And the entire drive train is open. Pulling a torque tube made easy. I use the jack a lot with our families daily drivers.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NailheadBob said:

The only dislike is getting under from the front or rear. @avgwarhawk is it not high enough off the ground?

Bob

The lift is in two separate pieces.  One for each side of the car.  The lift frames run from wheel well to wheel well.  Gaining entry to the underside of the vehicle from the side is now  blocked. Entry to the underside can be only done from the nose or rear.  Not a big issue but if one has a small garage it may be difficult to use.  I think the total overall lift is about 30" or so. Plenty of room to work under the vehicle.  A transmission could be removed. Exhaust work done. Really just about anything. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Alright all ...the smell of defeat is something I do not subscribe to.  I left the starter in place and removed the solenoid to see what is a miss. Looking over the puzzle and thankful I learned as a child a square peg will not fit in a round hole, I reused the bolt from the old solenoid that is secured to the starter motor. It was not worn anyway so why not.  Reinstalled the solenoid.  Attached the battery.  Once again, no smoke or fire. No quick fizzling of a fuse. I had that going for me.  I turned the key.  Idiot light illuminated as they should. Pedal depressed and vaaarrrroooommm!  Shut it down feeling victory. And truth be told my inner teenager smiled because I knowingly left the exhaust pipe off.  Needless to say upon firing immediately at the press of the pedal it sounded like a P-40 Warhawk.😃

I did find another starter and still have a solenoid on the way.  It's a good stand by item. 

Worn bolt.  Looks like something used in Frankenstein. 

PXL_20220717_220024488.jpg

PXL_20220717_220016178.jpg

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I did find another starter and still have a solenoid on the way

Now you have peace of mind after your photo of the "bolt" From the look of the bolt, issue has been going on for awhile: as @Bloo stated 

99% of the time that *is* the copper bolts already mentioned at least twice in this thread. I understand you have already replaced them. You need to revisit them.

@avgwarhawk could you post a photo of the mini starter and part number after you receive it, and did you purchase it from Tom T.?

Bob

• Like 1

And you can see why people mentioned turning that terminal 180°, to use the 'fresh" side and get another 50 years use!;)

I've taken apart solenoids to do that and seen both sides now worn out! Time for a new terminal... There was a Delco distributor near me that sold those terminals.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, NailheadBob said:

I did find another starter and still have a solenoid on the way

Now you have peace of mind after your photo of the "bolt" From the look of the bolt, issue has been going on for awhile: as @Bloo stated 

99% of the time that *is* the copper bolts already mentioned at least twice in this thread. I understand you have already replaced them. You need to revisit them.

@avgwarhawk could you post a photo of the mini starter and part number after you receive it, and did you purchase it from Tom T.?

Bob

I did not purchase a mini starter. I purchased a Delco starter(reman) and solenoid. It will be a readily available starter in case I need one down the road. Or if a member here is having trouble finding a starter. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

And you can see why people mentioned turning that terminal 180°, to use the 'fresh" side and get another 50 years use!;)

I've taken apart solenoids to do that and seen both sides now worn out! Time for a new terminal... There was a Delco distributor near me that sold those terminals.  

I did read about turning the bolt on this very forum. It was many years ago.  But yes, the bolt turned 180 and it should work like new! That is certainly evident looking at the used bolt.  Betcha back in the day it was done on the regular. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

Congratulations!  Looking at that bolt it's easy to see what the issue was...

Yes sir. In all reality I could have gotten away with replacement of just the one bolt. But replaced the other parts and reused the other bolt.  It had no wear. 

• Like 1

Folks,  secured the exhaust pipe and tidy up the tools.  Being thorough I tested the charging system and found it working as designed. Tried the starter 10 times.  Working like a charm.  Closing the hood on this repair.  Until next time.  Same bat channel. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2