48 chevy woodie

So I have been working on this 48 Chevy Woodie for a year now, drive train is finally done, new 250 6 cyl, th350 and s-10 rear axle. It drives around the yard, hurray!!!

My question is do I paint the metal next an assemble that and then finish wood, or should I finish wood and then paint and assemble? Most of my car friends think painting should be next and then finish woodworking (not really a lot to do, maybe a few more pieces to make and assemble and then varnish. Over the winter I had to build a new rear drivers side door and have changed all the panels to new mahogany plywood. I did start with Satin finish but.... I'm going to change to gloss for finish coats (thanks to comments here).

I am still in need of mechanical parts for a left rear door, window regulator and metal bracket if someone has those parts collecting dust.

thanks for your thoughts.

I would paint it first. I don't know if Chevrolet used welting between the wood and body parts as Ford did, but masking around the welting is a pain. I like the extra protection that paint gives against rust. P.S. at one point you mentioned that you live in CT. On the 23rd of July, the Yankee Chapter of the N.W.C. is gathering at Mystic Seaport in conjunction with the Wooden Boat Show. I last heard that 17 cars were registered. Stop by and introduce yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Mystic for the Yankee chapter meet show, I think I counted 21 cars, very nicely displayed on the grass at mystic seaport under some trees. Did get a chance to talk to a few members about woodie repairs/rebuilding.  Thanks everyone.

firecars, glad that you made it to the show. Nineteen "Woodies" is a fairly large number for this show and we had a great time.  Next year 2023 the Mystic Seaport will be holding the National Woodie Meet and between 70 and 100 Woodies are anticipated. The Ogunquit Maine Woodie show is next on August 13th, that show usually brings about 30 Woodies. I apologize if you were trying to contact me, my computer fried and I need to learn the workings of my new one and I'm having a hard time. Every time I tried to log into the A.A.C.A. site it wouldn't allow me access and after a few tries they blocked me from trying to get on so I gave up.