Head for my 89 TC.

Hi. I know i am grasping at straws here but.... Overheated my TC and the head is shot. Been talking to scrap yard brokers..... i guess. So anyone have or know where i can get a head for my 89 2.2L SOHC intercooled engine or i guess next step is to part out the car. i am in Pennsylvania.  here is the casting number on the head

Thanks to anyone that can help, Rick

chrysler TC cylinder head.jpg

So many people think the head is shot due to overheating the engine. WHAT makes you think so, and was this told you be a professional at at an automotive machine shop?  There is a good possibility that it could be rehabilitated.

This casting number is common for ALL cylinder heads on ALL 1989 and up models of Chrysler 4 cylinder engines no matter if it is a Voyager van or a LeBaron or a Dodge Daytona.

So you can go to the junkyard and pick a head in most any state and certainly in Pennsylvania.

I hope this will give you a little encouragement NOT to part out your TC.

• Like 1

There are differences in the 782 cast heads. The TC uses a cross drilled version of that cylinder head and valves designed for a Turbo engine. Then there is the head for a TBI engine (Throttle Body Injected)  

Though these heads can be used if you can find no others, these may even be in better condition since they have been in ‘Daily Driver’ vehicles.

• Like 1

Hey thank you guys. I did have the head looked at and tested by automotive machine shop. Hw showed me 9 cracked areas in the head.

told about cracks between valves may or may not be of consequence but others in cooling ports were. He also showed and told me this head was worked on before so dont bother with it at all. Thanks, Keninflys got that link and looks like the way to go.

Thanks to all who helped. i got very tired of trying to deal with all those scrap yard "brokers" online that dont have a clue to what ur trying to tell them. Looks like will be fixing my TC

12 minutes ago, Itlncrooner021 said:

Hey thank you guys. I did have the head looked at and tested by automotive machine shop. Hw showed me 9 cracked areas in the head.

told about cracks between valves may or may not be of consequence but others in cooling ports were. He also showed and told me this head was worked on before so dont bother with it at all. Thanks, Keninflys got that link and looks like the way to go.

Thanks to all who helped. i got very tired of trying to deal with all those scrap yard "brokers" online that dont have a clue to what ur trying to tell them. Looks like will be fixing my TC

I can’t blame you for being concerned about the cracks between the valve seats and also the cracks at the water ports, especially when the head has been serviced before. I will just say this;

I have done work on many cars with this head and with these cracks over the years, sometimes I saw that the cracks between the valves had been repaired, most times not. For you to feel totally safe, a new cylinder head is the way to go..     but, 

On the early build ‘89 TC that I own and drive, I have replaced the head gasket 2 times just as a maintenance precaution and have had a bad spot at a water port welded most recently, a couple of years ago with a new head gasket installed at that time also. I do all the R & R myself, so there is no labor cost there, but I do have the head lightly surfaced each time and install new head bolts each time as well.

I am still driving it, and it runs real strong, with no problems to this day at almost 300,000 miles showing on the odometer. Still with the same head on this 33 year old car.

When you have to pay someone to do all the labor, I can’t blame you for worrying about the cracks, it’s much the same as Russian roulette!  I have used MOPAR ‘P’ part # head gaskets in the past and Victor-Reinz brand the last time.

I have seen the most head gasket failures from engines with replacement Fel-Pro head gaskets over the years.  “Just saying”

A NEW head is still the safest way to go.

• Like 1