Crane Simplex comments

jcrow

There isn't much better than a C-S. I would gladly trade my wife or children for one..........the only car that can be placed in the same league as a Pierce Arrow in 1916. Fantastic hand built machine. Buy it, price doesn't matter.......you will not be disappointed. 

• Like 1

George……don’t know that car…….but one can look and surmise it’s story. Personally, cars with no provenance don’t interest me. And cars modern provenance added by dealers and brokers particularly don’t interest me. So that kills about 80 percent of most interesting pre WW1 cars……….you have been around long enough to know that the earlier you go, or  as horsepower climbs………..they get dirtier & dirtier. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

George……don’t know that car…….but one can look and surmise it’s story. Personally, cars with no provenance don’t interest me. And cars modern provenance added by dealers and brokers particularly don’t interest me. So that kills about 80 percent of most interesting pre WW1 cars……….you have been around long enough to know that the earlier you go, or  as horsepower climbs………..they get dirtier & dirtier. 

Just asking. Don’t think you could drink that one pretty. The dirtier comments fits right in the present owner’s business.

• Like 1

The 1912-1918 era of great chassis could always be had with interesting one off coachwork for what was then, very small money. The chassis was probably three times more expensive than a one off open body. By 1930, things had equaled out and the chassis and body in most instances were equally priced. A little known fact is by 1929 one off’s we’re almost gone…….and batch specials were common and 98 percent of the “custom” market.  In reality “semi custom”is the correct term for almost all “badged” coachwork. Pre 1915 winter and summer bodies were also common………with companies like Brewster not only doing the change over and repaint of early varnish finishes…….they also made a bunch of money storing the off season body in their warehouse.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Above: Early split windshield, spare tire trunk inside mount. Rare and unusual. Typical huge running board trunk. Interesting car. 👍

34 minutes ago, alsancle said:

That is really cool George!

Where is it now?

Still in Hyde Park………

• 11 months later...